Chapter 8: Cookies and cream

Magsimula sa umpisa

The prospect of money seemed foreign to her. There obviously wasn't a similar custom in the End. I didn't really mind though, the only thing I was saving for were throwing knives. Custom weighted throwing knives... But I seemed to forget the fact every time she asked me; 'I- Is this okay?' It would appear I wasn't as strong willed as I had thought. Not when it came to cuteness anyway.

As we walked through the halls, the once overflowing crowds now dwindling, I began to notice the stares again. Each person we passed had one of three reactions when they laid eyes upon Key, who shyly averted her gaze each time.

One, awe.

Two, jealously.

Three... Want.

The latter was the most subtle, but also the most worrying. Hell it was a Saturday afternoon, at a popular mall in a small city. The place was practically filled with people our age. Couples on dates, groups of friends going to the cinemas, the occasional loner that ran out of ice cream at home and only ventured outside of their bedroom in order to find more. To be fair I usually fit in with the loner group, but I tried to ignore that fact.

Regardless of who it was, there was always a small portion of guys that we passed who stared at Key in a... Dirty, way. I suddenly felt protective of her. She was, of course, oblivious to what I was observi-

We were descending the stairs to the ground level when an ear shattering wolf whistle pierced the air behind us. I groaned, someone had finally found the balls to do something. Key turned around in confusion and I was left no choice but to duplicate her action.

When I saw what lay before us, I regretted turning around instantly. Jacob, took a few more stair steps towards us. Masculine, a little on the pasty side, blonde and of course, blue eyed. He wore an expensive looking leather jacket over a white undershirt. His hair was swept backwards so as not to obscure his vision through the dark shades that he wore. He was notorious for having a way with women. In fact I was sure he had dated almost every girl in the grade at some point.

He strode towards us until he was on the same level, flanked by a group of three. Grinning cockily, looking Key up and down as if she were a three course meal. I smirked when I noticed him stand up a little straighter, trying to match Key's height. Amusingly, he fell short by a few millimetres.

His cocky attitude turned hostile. "What's so funny Raven?"

I raised an eyebrow. "The fact that you think you've got a chance with her."

Key looked at me, still confused. She was as innocent as ever.

Unable to think up a retort, the boy returned his attention to the purple haired girl. "My name is Jacob, Jacob Tennant. It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure." Before I could react, he took Keys hand and kissed it softly.

The girl recoiled almost as soon as the action had taken place. In fact, I wasn't even sure if he had managed to pull it off at all. She held the endangered hand close to her chest, stepping towards me a little. "I- I'm Key."

Jacob's eyes narrowed slightly, but his recovery time was uncanny. "Forgive me, I was a little forward. Key, was it? It's a beautiful name."

If I didn't know better I would have almost thought him a gentleman. Deciding that letting this progress any further might be dangerous, I spoke up. "Alright Jacob, you've met the pretty girl, now fuck off."

He flinched a little at my words. Although remarkably, he managed to hold in his anger and tutted at me instead. His role as a well-mannered teen prevailing. "Raven, Raven, Raven. I'm just talking to her, it's not every day you see someone so..." He looked back to the girl. "Cute."