Chapter 28 - Monty

Start from the beginning

My mom smiles. "In some ways, I think it's lucky you're not a Wolf, Juju. It still must be a challenge, living with three alphas."

Dane chokes on his coffee, and Julian looks up, frowning. "Three?"

"The twins, I mean. Even at their age, I imagine they're a handful, and the challenges only increase as they get older. Much as I love him, I'm glad I only had the one!"

She nudges Dane playfully in the arm, but he's sitting very stiff and still, and not looking at Julian at all.

Julian, meanwhile, looks from him to my mom, and back again. "I think I'm missing something."

My mom's smile fades as she catches on to the tension and confusion her words have caused. Luna and Luca, too, seem to sense that it has something to do with them, and stare back at her with their mismatched gold and purple eyes.

"Dane... you've told him, haven't you?" she asks.

Almost imperceptibly, Dane shakes his head.

"Oh, dear." My mom looks over at my dad. "Joseph, am I wrong? You sense it, too, don't you?"

"That I do," he says, reaching over to take Luna from Julian, lifting the little girl onto his lap. "An Alpha always knows other alpha-born. Just gotta look into their eyes to see it. I known it from the day of their naming ceremony."

"What does that mean?" Julian asks, swallowing. "I thought alpha-born were rare?"

"They are," Mom says quietly. "Very rare. To have two, and twins, is either an incredible blessing, or..."

"Or what?" Julian breathes, repeating his question when he gets no answer. "Or what?"

Mom shakes her head grimly. "It's for your Mate to explain, as he should have, long ago."

Julian's amethyst eyes fix on Dane, and I don't envy the man one bit.

"Dane?"

"Julian, I... I just haven't... I haven't got around to it yet."

Julian pushes his chair back and stands. "Monty, can you handle the twins for a bit?"

I clear my throat. "Of course."

"Astrid, Joseph, if you'll excuse me."

They nod, and he turns and makes his way upstairs.

"Excuse me, too," Dane mutters, and rises to follow him.

For an Alpha werewolf, he sure looks an awful lot like a dog who knows he's been bad.

"Oh my," my mom sighs, once they're out of sight. "I had no idea. How could Julian not know?"

"It's barely been two years since he learned he was Fae," I say. "He may have sensed, or 'known' on some level, but he'd have no idea what it meant."

"Oh, dear. I do hope he'll be alright."

"Julian is resilient," my dad says with surprising confidence. "Our son chose his Mate well."

My mom glances his way. "I was talking about our son. The Fae are fierce when angry."

"Ah. Indeed. And as for hybrid Fae-Wolf alphas..." He bounces little Luna on his lap, giving her a slice of sweet orange to suck on. "Who knows what destiny has in store for them?"

A few minutes pass in awkward silence as everyone finishes their meal, and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that I don't hear screaming and shouting from either outside or upstairs.

Kit and I take over the cleanup, and my parents retreat to the living area, sitting together on the couch, watching Luna and Luca as they play on the floor. It's good to see them together, just having a quiet moment to themselves.