Chapter 3: Cunning woman

Start from the beginning

I had to make this last question count... I could ask who she was, but that wouldn't help much. Maybe how she could teleport? No... That wouldn't make much of a difference to the situation either. "What do you want?" I asked, confident in my choice.

"Another donut."

My head hit the table in defeat. The key to losing any game is over confidence, and it seems I had some lessons that I needed to relearn. With much distress, I slowly pushed the last remaining desert to her side of the glass surface. She still seemed reluctant to approach. She was fearful... For reasons unbeknown to me.

"It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you." I assured her.

She rose a bit higher and finally separated herself from the wall, still maintaining a closeness with it if she needed to escape however. "That's what they all say."

I stiffened at her words. That's what they all say? What had happened in her past that made her lose so much trust in everybody around her? I swallowed uneasily at my imagination. I decided to remain silent and let the unnamed girl make up her own mind. It was an unmoving minute.

"Don't look at me." She uttered, shyly.

She must get it a lot. I didn't blame her really, but I would have thought she'd be more used to it. Hesitantly, I obeyed, and turned my vision towards the wall. I heard the steady footsteps nearing. Steady, and yet ready to turn face and bolt if startled. This moment, was important, I only had one chance to earn her trust. As the even pace came to a stop, I could feel her presence more than anything. Surprisingly, it put me on edge. I heard the chair opposite me, being drawn outwards, and a soft brush of fabric against metal signified her seating.

My eyes flickered upwards, only for what I intended to be a split second, but I was caught in the act almost instantly. I no longer possessed the willpower to look away. I became lost in her eyes, they seemed limitless, as if there was no end to the beauty contained within. Her lips parted in surprise and the faint outlines of a blush bloomed on her cheeks. She quickly covered the expression by stuffing one of her cheated donuts in her mouth.

I hardly noticed when she finished, but soon after she finally met my inconsiderate stare. "You really don't recognise me, do you?"

I blinked once or twice, trying to free myself from the trance. "Have we met before?"

"Mm, last night."

I thought back, but after I had fallen from my chair, everything was unrecognisable. "I... Can't quite remember..."

Her thin eyebrows furrowed. "How hard did you hit your head?"

It took me a couple of seconds. Granted, it had taken me far longer than it should have to piece together the puzzle. But as she sat there staring, with her magenta coloured hair and eyes to match, in the black hoodie that was far too big for her, slightly cradling her right arm, I toppled over backwards in my chair.

The Endergirl.

"Y- You-" I flustered, not quite being able to push out the words. She bit into the last remaining donut, calmly. I swallowed as I righted myself, resting my back against the cold plaster wall. Taking a few breaths, I tried again. "You... Teleported through my screen?"

The mob nodded.

I paused, before I burst into ecstatic laughter. I could no longer contain myself. There was no way this was candid camera, or an elaborate prank, the teleporting was far too real and the girl, far too attractive. This was somehow... Reality.

She tilted her head, like the way a puppy does when it's confused at its owner's stupidity.

Finally managing to suck in my laughter, I took a couple deep breaths to steady myself, but I couldn't get rid of the amused grin that was spread across my face. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's just that... This plotline sounds like something straight from a crappy, third-rate fan fiction that some idiotic teenager with no life would post online."