One

We are bred to whomever they want us to be bred to. We are young adults being forced into sex, by the people we call our government! How is that okay? Is this what we want to grow up as? Pawns to their sexist games?

The blue haired girl was angry, I could tell that. Her eyes were chipped with rage, and the way her nails dug into her cold skin. But, I didnt want to stop the protest. She was right. We are just pawns in their games. 18-year-old females getting sold to whomever wanted to buy us. How was that any fair to us?

Since I could remember, the government had always picked up 18-year-old girls on their birthdays, and prepared them for what was to come, and that was breeding. We would get bred to which ever sick asshole wanted to buy us. But, one rule applies. Dont impregnate the ones younger than 20.

I was turning 18 tomorrow, and I wanted to get to know everything I could about these damn games. I had bumped into a scared girl yesterday in the mall. She had just been sold to a man, and was terrified of him. He would beat on her if she didnt please his every needs. She told me about this girl, she had gotten impregnated at the age of 19 and was sent back home, her buyer killed. She started a protest against the breeding. Shed been going at it for years now.

She wasnt going to get anywhere if she still hadnt gotten anywhere before. The government wont listen. Theyll shut her up before anything. Even if that means a bullet in the mouth. But, she didnt seem scared. Even by the police that pulled their guns out on her, demanding she get off the stage and let the band continue their song. But, I hadnt been here for the band, I was here for her.

So, once she was off the stage, I ran to catch up with her, pulling my brown hair up into a ponytail. Maam, I said, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my black coat.

The girl stopped walking, turning back to look at me. She had the most beautiful violet eyes I had ever seen before, and they went perfect with the blue hair tucked under a black beanie. Her violet eyes glazed over me, before meeting my eyes.

How can I help you? She asked, cocking a brow and crossing her exposed arms.

Im Ivy Winters, I introduced as a chilling breeze swept over me. Im turning 18 tomorrow, I added in a mere whisper.

The girls eyes held pain as she processed my words. She placed two firm hands on each of my shoulders, her eyebrows narrowing as her violet eyes searched my soul. Oh, poor sweetie, she said, pulling me into a hug. No young girl should have to go through this, she added, backing away. Im Red, follow me. I could tell you anything you would like to know about the Breeding. She walked away, me following closely behind her, my eyes on the ground.

We walked through the park, watching the families walk around, kids throw snowballs at their siblings. And, even troublemakers throwing snowballs at people passing by. I wish I could go back to when I didnt have to worry about men buying me for pleasures. But, I know that tomorrow, I could never go back.

Ask me any questions, Red said as I caught up to her.

She turned her head to me. She fixed her beanie, awaiting my questions. I didnt have very many, there wasnt much that I had to ask. How did you escape? I asked, looking ahead of me. If Red had the chance to escape, maybe I could escape too. Maybe, I wouldnt have to go through the whole shitty thing.

Oh, Ivy. I didnt escape, she said, shaking her head. The first man I was with didnt know how to work a condom. He decided not to use it, and boom, Im pregnant and back on the streets.

Wait, first?

Some men get bored with their girls and switch women. If youre lucky your man will want to keep you and not pass you around like a disease, she said, stuffing her hands into her white, ripped jean pockets.