Chapter 1

Aleah

June 2007

Philly

I have no clue why Doc thought I should go to an educator's conference. Yes, I work at a college, a really cool, quaint college in Kent, Ohio, but I'm not an educator. Ever since I graduated college five years ago I've always worked in the financial aid office, but I finally got the promotion I've been working toward as the enrollment data manager, and it became the highlight of my year.

It also meant my boss, Dr. Randall Jacobs, thought it would be fun for me to go and meet other people who worked in the financial aid offices of other colleges for a week.

So not how I planned on starting my summer vacation before I actually start my new job in August. It's one thing to take a trip for school in high school, but for a job, not nearly as fun.

Philadelphia of all places, in June. Like there's not an extra million people already travelling to one of the country's most historical cities. This trip has been a nightmare and then some, but I'm expected to network, however a girl from Ohio is expected to that from people all over the country.

Thankfully my best friend Sydney is with me, since we work at the same college, and so I don't have to be completely alone for the week. We didn't spent too much time together in the day, but at night we made it a point to hop on the public transportation by rail and trolley and try all good things that a tourist should try in Philly, like a cheesesteak sandwich, a hoagie, pretzels, pasta, and today, I'm just over this city and its busy crowds and boring lectures.

This morning I left Sydney a note and made my way to the Amtrak station and bought a ticket to get to Atlantic City. It's been years since I've seen a coastline, and that's what I planned on doing today.

Stepping off the train, I realize I probably didn't think this through very well. It's hot, and I'm in khaki capris and a thin t-shirt over sandals. Finding the first souvenir shop, I picked up a fun NJ hat, sunscreen, and some Converse shoes and socks and a tote bag, since all I picked up was my purse. I don't even know if I brought my phone, but I don't want to be bothered today. Not by Sydney, not by my folks, or anybody else. It's a nice feeling to just do something for myself today.