chapter 4: an untouchable feast

ابدأ من البداية

"For this trial, you're gonna have to tell which of the items on this table is fake," He says calmly, gesturing to the array of food spread out before them. "If ya guess correctly, you pass."

"That's it?" Bokuto perks up, grabbing the nearest pair of chopsticks. "That's easy!"

"Woah, slow down there Bokkun," Atsumu seems to have quickly recovered from his life-threatening injury, sitting up and pointing the scroll at the owl spirit. "It's not quite that simple."

Bokuto frowns. Akaashi's eyes narrow in a sort of grim satisfaction. Atsumu clears his throat importantly. Osamu rolls his eyes.

"Rule number one! You can't eat or touch the food. Hey!" Atsumu slaps Bokuto's reaching hand away from the plate of fatty tuna, his arm curling protectively around it. "Did ya hear me, Bokkun? No! Touchin'!"

Bokuto groans and slumps against the table, defeated.

"Can we touch the plates?" Akaashi has to carefully lean forward to be heard over Bokuto's defeated wails.

"Oho, you're a sneaky one, ain'tcha?" Atsumu smirks, eyes gleaming. "Well, too bad. It's not on here, but I'm gonna say no. I don't like that look in yer eyes."

Akaashi blinks neutrally back at him.

"Rule number two! No gettin' up or leavin' the table until you've made your guess."

Bokuto shifts uncomfortably. Akaashi nods, like this, too, was expected.

"Is there a specific time limit?" He asks.

"Ya go until I say so!"

"Lemme see that," Osamu snatches the scroll from his brother's hand and quickly scans the contents. "Ya have until the candle burns out. No more, no less."

Osamu points towards the tall white candle in the center of the table, already flickering with a soft orange light.

"Okay, okay, you have until the candle melts. Whatever. Now!" Atsumu takes the scroll back and clears his throat again. "Rule number three! You only get one guess. If it's right, ya pass. But if it's wrong..."

"We lose?" Bokuto finishes uncertainly.

Atsumu nods. The candle's flame sways feebly.

"That's all?"

"Aw, c'mon now, there's no need to sound so resigned, Keiji-kun!" Atsumu barks out a laugh. "You get the pleasure of my company too, yanno!"

"I think ya mean "misfortune,"" Osamu says loudly, spooning more miso soup into his bowl.

"Shut up, 'Samu!" Atsumu cuffs his brother's head on reflex. Between that, the soup, and the black string around Osamu's throat, Bokuto is impressed the fox spirit doesn't choke. "Besides, I'm hardly the worst dinner guest. You should meet this weasel spirit we know. One wrong move and he'd refuse to even speak to ya. One time, I tracked mud into the house and all of my food was "accidentally" burned for weeks after."

"Was this before or after ya sliced one of his paper screens and nearly broke his hammer?"

"That was you!"

"No it was not, ya filthy liar!"

Bokuto can barely focus. His eyes can only follow the tender cuts of meat being piled onto Atsumu's plate. His stomach grumbles again. The fox spirit smirks at him.

"Whatcha lookin' at over there?"

"Your ears," It's a great lie. Or at least a quick one. "I don't think I've seen many fox spirits."