Epilogue: The Sin-Eater's Curse

Start from the beginning

On returning home, having done battle with that same wind which sought to bother my skirts and lift my hat from my head, I search the house for Papa and William. With no joy in seeking out my father, I finally find my brother tucking into the largest bowl of chocolate sponge cake with custard that I have ever seen.

'Heavens, William, that dessert is larger than Caer Caradoc,' I say, bemused, as I stand in the doorway watching him as he spills custard down yet another new vest, scowling as if I have interrupted some private ritual.

'Aggie said that on account of having experienced such a terrible ordeal, I should ensure I eat plenty to regain my strength.'

I raise a brow. 'Curious. I never knew that cake and custard had such strength-giving properties.'

William spoons another huge helping into his mouth.

'Energy. It will give me energy. That is what Aggie said.'

'Energy for what exactly?'

'Eating more dessert?' He shrugs, and grins, dabbing his mouth with the napkin. 'How is Lizzie? Papa said you were going to visit with her this morning?'

'Very well, actually. Where is Papa? I wanted to speak with him.'

William spots a spillage on his vest and rubs furiously at it with the napkin, frowning. 'Oh... yes... he went to see your Sin-Eater.'

'Daniel?'

'Unless you have another Sin-Eater hidden away somewhere. Yes, Daniel Carver. Papa set off some time ago, mumbling something about how it's not proper and he has to do something about it. Or words to that effect.'

'What?' I squeak, holding the doorway to steady myself. 'Why on Earth would he say something like that?'

'Not certain. But on my estimation, it probably has something to do with his meeting with him yesterday.'

This conversation is worsening by the second.

'Meeting? What meeting? No one told me there was to be a meeting? What was it concerning?'

'No doubt because you were not invited.' William smirks, clearly quite amused with how flustered I must look. 'I have no idea what the meeting was about, I didn't hear anything.'

'What do you mean you did not hear? Do you mean that you weren't eavesdropping? You always eavesdrop. Why weren't you eavesdropping?'

William shoots me a strange look. 'This is possibly the first time you scolded me for not eavesdropping. Are you okay? You look awfully pale all of a sudden.'

I grit my teeth and fight the urge to dump the dessert bowl on my dear brother's head, not that it would make much mess as he appears to have cleaned it of custard in the way a dog would clean up its food bowl.

'William, Heavens, will you just tell me what happened?'

'I wish I could,' he says, looking completely unbothered by my concern. 'All I know is that Daniel was here talking to Papa, and it looked dreadfully serious. Lots of scowling and such like. Then Daniel stormed off and Papa went into his study and slammed the door.'

'And you are only thinking to inform me of this now?'

William smiles lazily and leans back in his chair and rubbing at his stomach as if he is fit to burst. 'You only just asked.'

I clench my fists. 'William Richard Elmes, if you were not my brother, I would have Silas tie you to the trap and drag you about the field.'

'Harsh... even for you, dear sister,' he replies, pretending to appear hurt. 'Why are you even worried anyway? Papa likes Daniel. Even if he is the Sin-Eater.'