I mentioned most of my friends in passing to Nolan, and I was sure he remembered Lucas' and Jenna's names because they were the people whom I spent the most time with in school.

Lucas flashed him a friendly smile. "Hey, nice to meet you."

Nolan smiled back. "Nice to meet you."

It would be nice to have Nolan come with us since this was the first time that he was meeting my friends. On the other hand, it really was once in a blue moon that I got to see Nolan in the middle of the day like this, and I did want to take this opportunity to spend some quality time with him.

I couldn't believe he'd taken the trouble to surprise me with a drink. It was so sweet of him—all I wanted to do right now was to throw my arms around him and hug him tight.

With my mind made up, I said, "Sorry, I won't be having lunch with you guys today. See you later!"

"No worries," Jenna said. "See you!"

As we turned to leave, Jenna and Lucas gave us a quick wave.

"Lead the way!" I said to Nolan, beaming expectantly at him. "Where should we go?"

He took my free hand, and we began walking together.

"Do you have any cravings?" he asked.

"Hmm ... not in particular. Can you help me to hold this?"

I passed him my cup of coffee, and he took it.

"Sure. Why, though?"

Once we were most likely out of their sight, I flung my arms around him and embraced him with all my strength. Now I could publicly display all the affection I wanted!

From the slight jolt that I felt, I could tell that he was caught off-guard by my action.

"Whoa, hey, I'm holding your drink!" he said, shifting the cup away from me.

"I know. That's why I asked you to help me hold it!"

"Everything okay?" he asked, his free arm circling around my back to return my hug.

We plodded on awkwardly, pressed up as closely to each other as we were.

"Yup! I just wanted to hold you," I declared, burrowing my head into his chest. "I love you!"

His hoodie was open today, so my nose was buried in his navy-blue T-shirt. It smelled good as usual, and I inhaled happily.

"Love you too," he murmured into the top of my head before kissing it.

-------------------------------------------

The dark gray clouds hung over the sky, and there was no trace of sunlight to be seen.

We were walking under one of the sheltered walkways. Since I had a long break before my next lecture, we decided to take a stroll to Collegetown.

"Isn't it going to rain?" I asked, detaching myself from Nolan's arm long enough to examine the sky. "I don't have an umbrella with me."

"Nope, unless the weather forecast is wrong," he said. "It's supposed to be cloudy all afternoon. No rain. It's part of why I chose today to come and find you."

"Oh, nice. Then I really can parade you around!"

"Huh? Parade?"

"Yeah. That way everyone will know that we're together!" I went back to hugging Nolan's arm.

I could feel his lean and taut muscles hidden under the baggy sleeve of his thick hoodie. Since that evening we'd spent at Ashley's room playing both card and board games, I'd started thinking about just how much Nolan had or hadn't changed over the years.

His physique really hadn't changed much at all. He was as tall as he'd been since I'd met him, and because I hadn't grown any taller since tenth grade, our height difference remained exactly the same. He'd maintained the same amount of muscle tone too. It was substantial for a tenth grader, but now that we were in college, all around us were well-built gym bros.

"It's not like it's a secret," he said, bringing his hand up to my hair.

Tangling his fingers into it, he twirled a small lock around his index finger. His action sent pleasant tingling sensations shooting through my scalp. I tried not to sigh happily.

"It's not, but do you go around announcing it to everyone? I mean, do all your friends know that you have a girlfriend?"

"I don't—"

"—have friends, alright," I said, rolling my eyes, "but does everyone know you're in a relationship? What if someone tries to hit on you while I'm not there?"

His eyebrows scrunched together. "Who's gonna hit on me?"

"Someone who would! Anyone!"

Nolan was still an attractive guy, after all. Even if he probably looked a bit younger than the other guys on campus... No, did he really look that much younger? I'd been looking at his face for two consecutive years now, and I just couldn't tell.

"I don't think guys get hit on as often," he said. "Anyway, does it really matter? I'd just turn them down and tell them I have a girlfriend. Then they'd know I have a girlfriend. There, problem solved."

"Still, it would be more convenient if they already knew, right? Then you could avoid the whole awkward conversation."

I just wished that the whole situation the other day with Lucas could have never happened.

"Why, did someone ask you out?"

He was so good at reading me. Or maybe I was just easy to read.

"Kind of, but it was only because he didn't know I already have a boyfriend," I said, making a face. "I should try to mention you more in passing. It's just that I can't stand it when girls always bring up their boyfriends for no reason in every conversation!"

Nolan brushed my side bangs out of my eyes.

"Popular, aren't you? Can't say I'm surprised. I really like that part of you."

In my shock, I nearly released his arm. I wasn't even close to being popular.

"What? What part of me?"

The look in his green eyes was gentle. "The part that draws people towards you like a magnet. You're so easy to be around."

"No way, I don't attract people like a magnet!" I wagged my finger at him. "Are you just trying to flatter me? Look at how many people I hung out with in Fairwood."

"Well, I definitely felt that pull," he said with a half-smile. "You think I would've made friends with just anyone?"

Feeling heat creep through my cheeks, I turned my head away. I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

"Flatterer."

"Sorry, it's not my fault that you can't handle the truth."

"Nolan!"

-------------------------------------------

AN: Question: do people get bored reading about an established couple?

that's the reason i mostly like slowburn, because at least the payoff is great when they finally get together. after that, it's like, that's it! they're together now, end of exciting things. thanks so much for reading! ♡ฅ(ᐤˊ꒳ฅˋᐤ♪)

For those who want to read in advance, Patreon supporters will be able to read two chapters ahead of what's currently available plus other YASTMT bonus chapters! (the link's in my profile)