Chapter Twenty-Five - The Galt

Another short flight.

Nadia was strapped into a seat on another small jet, this one a luxuriously appointed Auktoris craft. Seated directly across from her was Nadine, eyes lit up and typing in thin air.

Dunn stood beside Nadia, one hand looped around a handhold on the ceiling. Watching. Her other hand was clenched in a fist, waiting. The other two Hellhounds were standing on Nadia's other side, Rottweiler right next to her. Dane was in the back, completely blocking the jet's wide aisle.

Nobody had spoken for a few long, painful minutes.

Nobody except Pravin, of course.

"Miss Ashpool," he said again. "Nadine. I know that you're far too clever to just throw something like this away."

He was seated at Nadia's side. He hadn't stopped talking since they'd been sat down.

"This is a partnership," Pravin said. "A wise one, I would say. I think you fail to understand the effect taking me away from Haven might have."

Nadine didn't seem to be listening. At all. Her pupils were glazed over, still making subtle little hand motions as she stared at nothing. Eyes focused on an indeterminate point between herself and Nadia.

"It is a precarious situation!" Pravin said, holding a hand out at Nadia. "Your sister is well aware, if you don't believe me. Haven is my city, Nadine. They need me."

Nadia narrowed her eyes, leaning away from him. Disgusted that he would even attempt to bring her into the conversation. She was sorely tempted to slap Pravin across the face, finally. Or perhaps shock him into submission. It would get him to stop talking, if nothing else.

"You..." He stopped, scoffing and sputtering a bit, his eternally warm smile finally becoming annoyed. "Nadine. You fail to fully understand the situation, my dear. We had an agreement. The Board will not take kindly to you just...unilaterally making off with one of their own!"

Nadine moved. Not to speak, of course. Still not listening, even a little bit. She merely shifted in her seat, uncrossing her legs and crossing them again.

"Are you listening to me, Miss Ashpool?!" Pravin said, his voice rising into a haughty, offended bark.

Nadine made a disgusted little "ugh," rolling her eyes and swiping at the air in front of her. "Captain?" she said.

Dunn turned to her. A slight motion of her helmet. Pravin's demeanor didn't change, somehow. As if they hadn't just watched the alpha bitch herself skewer poor Chris through the chest.

"How fast are we currently flying?" Nadine asked. "At what altitude?"

Dunn raised her head, staring into her private display.

"Never mind, I have it here," Nadine said, her eyes lit up. "That would be lethal, correct?"

Dunn nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"Good," Nadine said. She still wasn't looking at either of her prisoners, making a few dismissive waves at Pravin. "This man is bothering me."

"Understood," Dunn said. She stepped forward, grabbing Pravin by the lapels of his suit and yanking him up out of his seat.

"Miss Ashpool?!" Pravin said, holding his hands up in surrender. "You are making a grave mistake, young lady!"

Rottweiler moved past Nadia, squeezing past her Captain and walking on down the aisle, toward a door on the side of the jet.

"What is it you want, exactly?" Pravin said. "What are your demands?!"

The door was opened. Loud wind and the scream of jet engines from outside, making Nadia wince the moment cold air came whipping at her inside the cabin. Dunn dragged Pravin over, his feet barely able to touch the floor.