Chapter 38: Midnight

Hey, guys, guess who's back after a couple of months. WickedlyTMNT suggested this oneshot based off of the main story "Midnight," and since I hadn't done any of these oneshots in a while, I agreed. Here it goes.

    Raph ran on the rooftops, looking for his little brother. Mikey had gone out for a while but hadn't return yet, which made him concerned. After running for about an hour, he suddenly skitted to a halt. There, in front of him, was a familiar enemy, one that he immediately recognized: Midnight.

    Raph was speechless. He thought that Midnight died from that explosion. But Midnight just laughed evily. "I managed to survive even that," he sneered. "And now, I've once again taken over your brother. This time for good: what's even left of your brother's mind is gone."

    Raph growled. Twirling his sais, he rushed at him and  attacked, Midnight countering it. They fought violently for about an hour until finally, with one decisive move, Raph plunged his sais into Midnight's chest, panting heavily. With a screech, the symbiote came off. Unfortunately, Raph ended up finding out that, to his horror, he had stabbed Mikey. As his little brother fell to the ground, Raph caught him in his arms, falling on his knees as his eyes began filling up with tears. "Mikey!" he exclaimed. "Little bro, I'm so sorry!"

    Mikey only looked up at him and futility reached out a hand. Knowing what he needed, Raph took Mikey's hand into his own and held it close to his face. Mikey smiled. "I....forgive....you....bro," he managed to say before becoming still in his arms.

    Sadness seemed to strike Raph like a knife as he stared in disbelief at Mikey's dead body. He had never screamed so loudly in his life.
..............................................................................................................
    At that point, Raph jerked himself awake with a gasp, sweating and panting. Looking around him frantically, he saw to his relief that he was in his own room at the lair. He relaxed a little, but was still scared for Mikey. Getting out of bed on shaky legs, he rushed on tiptoe towards Mikey's room. Opening the door, he saw Mikey curled up in bed, fast asleep. His chest steadily rose up and down, indicating his breathing. Seeing this made Raph calm down and feel better, but he was still saddened by his dream because his baby brother and best friend had nearly died saving them all from Virus that night. Coming inside the room, he headed over to Mikey's bed and sat next to it, patting Mikey's head.

    He could feel his eyes well up with tears, but he tried blinking them away to no avail. All those horrid memories of what he had done and said to his little brother filled his head and seemed to replay inside him. He tried not to sob, but it was no use. The fear and guilt of what had happened kept eating at him until he finally began to cry quietly, his tears hitting the bedsheets.

    With his ninja senses, Mikey woke up confused as to what he was hearing until he looked up at a crying Raph. Immediately, he knew that something was wrong with him. When Raph was about to go, he was stopped by a hand to his wrist. "Raph? Something wrong?" asked Mikey.

    Now knowing that he couldn't hide anything from Mikey, Raph sat back down and explained his dream. He didn't leave out a single detail. Knowing what he was talking about, Mikey sat up in bed so he could reach out and rub Raph's shoulder. "It was just a nightmare, bro," he said. "Besides, Midnight's dead. So's Virus."

    Raph sighed, shuddering. "I know bro," he said. "But ever since all that had happened, I felt terrible. When I yelled at you that night at the farmhouse, I was so ticked off that I let my anger get the better of me-something that I didn't realize until it was too late. You were kidnapped that night all because of how I treated you. All because of how we all treated you."

    At this, cries came out of him as tears ran down his face. "I was so upset and scared," he continued. "We almost lost you that night. And it was all my fault. I'm so sorry, little bro. I promise that from now on, I'll be a better big brother. Please don't leave us. And please stay with us."

    Mikey smiled sadly and pulled Raph into a hug, rubbing his shoulder soothingly. "I've already forgiven you for it long ago," he said. "And I'll never leave you. Besides, it wasn't your fault that I got kidnapped by Virus and transformed into Midnight. And it wasn't your fault that I almost died protecting you and the rest of the family from Virus; I just did what I had to do."

    Smiling comfortingly, Mikey nuzzled his side of his head against Raph's and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "And I promise I'll be a better little brother," he added. "I'll always be there for you guys. Especially you, Raph."

    Raph smiled, feeling a lot better than he had previously. With tears of happiness flowing down, he pulled Mikey closer to him, into his lap, and peppered his face with kisses. "Thanks, little bro," he said, squeezing him close. "For listening and helping me."

    Mikey giggled, tightening his embrace, feeling Raph do the same. "If you want," he offered, "you can spend the night in my room."

    Raph grinned. "I'd love that," he said as they both got into bed.

    As they slept for the rest of the night, Raph tugged Mikey close to him, cuddling him close. "I love you so much, my brave baby brother," he whispered. "I'm so happy to have you back in my life again."

    Sorry it took so long, WickedlyTMNT. Got distracted by other stuff, but I managed to get it finished. Hope you and the others enjoy.