Chapter 3- Run Of A Mouth

Start from the beginning

     "So what was it like living here?" He threw another question onto the unanswered pile building up. His excitement was commendable, though unnecessary.

  "Nice." Said Peter, clearly fed up at the sound of Alfie's voice. "Are you done yet?"

  "No!" The younger Gallagher rolled his eyes. "I have to know everything about this place! What was the name again?"

  "Narnia." Harvey groaned.

  "Yes! Narnia! The Narnian's! So, you were their rulers!"

  "For a while." Susan nodded, lilac dress flowing in the wind, moving faster than most of the boys.

  "Then what happened?"

  "We came back to England." James told them, solemnly. They hadn't meant to, that much was certain. If they could go back and stay, they probably would.

  "Where do you prefer?"

  "Alfie!" Harvey shoved his side, the leather of their elbow patches rubbing together.

  "It's hard to say..." Lucy pondered, pausing a moment. It was hard to compare to worlds so different, so the girl in red and white waited until the answer came before she finished. "I can't choose."

  "What about you, Edmund?" Alfie targeted. "Where do you prefer?"

  "I don't." The raven haired boy deadpanned. "I'm glad to be back, but I don't have a favourite. I like both."

  "James, you've got to have a favourite! Don't you?"

  "Alfie, stop." Harvey attempted to control his boisterous younger brother. It was a full time job that the dark eyed boy wasn't correctly trained for.

  "It's alright." The eldest Pevensie shrugged. "We were curious too, the first time. I talked to a fox for a while about Narnia, my first time here. And, Lucy befriended a faun."

  "This is brilliant!" Harvey awed. "You haven't the faintest idea of how jealous I am of you."

  "Then we fought in a war." Peter raised his eyebrows.

  "It wasn't a war." The other blonde countered. "A battle. The Battle of Beruna."

  "I'm fine without fighting, you know. It's not exactly my cup of tea." The elder Gallagher stumbled through his words, slightly.

  "I was like that." James thought fondly of when he first set foot in Narnia. It was inches deep of snow, seeping through his pyjamas, but he hadn't cared. There was something so marvellous and magic about it all , and so, that was all he needed.

  "I don't believe that." Harvey shook his head.

  "Why?" Peter almost snapped. "You've seen him fight."

  "But a battle is different." Said the Gallagher boy. "That's more violent than being punched or punching someone else."

  "Leave it." James mediated. "Whatever has or will happen was decided before we ever came here. It's not for us to decide."

     So, as James as requested, they stopped talking about him. He was right, in Narnia fate was fate, and it couldn't be changed. Whatever they did, it was decided, and James would never fight it. Aslan wouldn't want it for him, or for any of them. They were, as always, his humble servants, spreading his word.

     It was as they trekked over to the other side of the stone-like beach, that silence fell, but only for a short while. The two sets of siblings were together, but the Gallaghers were alienated. This world wasn't their own.

     Harvey had decided it was the best time to begin reading the book James had gifted him. There was no better time than the present to learn, but it seemed that there was so much to do. He had to catch up on hundreds of years. Hundreds of years of history, and people, and of his friends. Hundreds of years of prophecies and magic, and a creature so brave and bold that would save the Narnian's.

     "So you were the High King?" Harvey continued to ask as they neared a dune of small rocks.

  "I suppose so." James shrugged, unsheathing one of his scythes from the leather holder on his back. He simply wanted to admire the blade: it had been quite some time, after all.

  "What are Edmund and Peter, then?"

  "I'm just King." Said the younger, in a nonchalant tone. "Peter's ,like, some sort of Battle King, a fighting leader of sorts."

  "I've never heard of one of them." Alfie interrupted.

  "You'd never heard of Narnia, either." Susan added.

  "I don't have to have heard of..." embarrassed, he paused. The Gallagher boy was almost a dear in headlights around the reigning Kings and Queens: afraid. "What was it called again?"

  "Susan just said it." Harvey shook his head, wanting to disown his brother. "I don't know how we're related."

  "Narnia." Giggled the youngest Pevensie.

  "Yes! Narnia!" Alfie grinned. "I knew that!"

  With a smirk, James shook his head. "No you didn't."

  "No I didn't." He agreed.

  "I don't understand you." Harvey rolled his eyes, clearly fed up.

  "Well, it's not that-"

  "Shush." James had stopped waking, paused, frozen.

     Silence fell at his words. None of them would interrupt him, not when he needed to hear what was happening. He would be the only one able to.

     Edmund was the first to break it, needing information. "What's wrong?"

  "Shh." James cut him off, halting the movement.

     The eldest Pevensie allowed his body to change. The pain never dissevered, and though it was necessary, he wished it to go away. His bones cracked and morphed to something more suited, and his blonde locks shrank back. Soon, he was no longer a boy, but a beast- of sorts.

  "How do you do that?" Alfie groaned, like a young child. "I want to do that! How do you do that?"

  "Shut up." James growled, his voice morphing into something more frightening now that his form had changed.

  "James?" Wondered Lucy. "What's happening?"

  "Someone's here."

• - - •
1572
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.