“Dr. Shalini?” I questioned.

“His pulse and everything else seems normal. I can’t tell why he fainted.” Shalini ma’am said

“He just came out of coma. Maybe that’s why.” Alekh suggested.   

“But he was recovering so well.” Capt. Abhimanyu said. I just stood there, watching Rajveer sir and hearing the conversation. I didn’t trust myself to say anything without breaking down, and I don’t want to cry in front of Rajveer sir.

“No, this is not because of Coma.” Dr. Shalini said. The room fell into silence as everyone thought about what could have cause Rajveer sir to collapse. A minute or 2 passed in this silence.

“Coma.” Dr. Shalini exclaimed all of a sudden.

“Dr. everything ok.” Colonel Chandra questioned.

“He just came out of coma. Meaning that he must be taking some medication.” Dr. Shalini stated as if it was the most obvious this in the world.  I picked up the medicine from the side table and handed it to Dr. Shalini, without saying a word. As soon as she saw the medicines she stood up from the stool in which she, at some point, sat in.

“What is wrong Doc?” Abhimanyu sir inquired.

“What is wrong is that this is slow poison not medicine.”  Dr. Shalini said, throwing the medicine, or rather slow poison on the floor. Gasps could be heard around the room.

“Thank god Captain hadn’t consumed too much of this. 2-3 more doses and he could have…” Dr. Shalini left the rest of the sentence hanging, but we all understood the unspoken. The room, once again, filled with pin drop silence, until a small moan came from the bed. Lying on the bed, Capt. Rajveer had his eyes open.

“One knows I am alive except you all. Who could have…?” Capt. questioned, shocking all of us. This means he was awake the whole time.

“Raj?” Capt. Abhimanyu asked.

“Chauhan saab, I am not that week. I will not leave you all this early. “Rajveer sir said with humor, and that got to me. Here we were dying of worry for him, and he was cracking stupid jokes. What did he think of himself?

“Are you crazy Capt. Here we are worrying about your wellbeing and you just don’t care? Hell you can’t even take care of yourself, and you have the gull to crack jokes.” I said shocking everyone.

“Cadet…” Captain Rajveer said but I cut him off.

“Do you know how worried I was, thinking you… Promise me, just promise that this kind of thing will never happen again.” I said expanding my hand forward. Tears were, uncontrollably, flowing out of my eyes. Rajveer sir, placed his hands on top of mine, making the hair on the back of my neck stand up. “Promise…Only if you promise to never cry. Remember I told you that tears in my cadet Naina’s Nain (eyes) don’t suit her.” He said. I gave him a small smile and wiped my tears with my free hands. I don’t know how long I stood there staring at his eyes, his hand on mine.