VIII. New Lead

- CHAPTER EIGHT -

- CHAPTER EIGHT -

Beep...Beep. The only sound being heard right now was the beeping of the cardiac monitor that was connected with the youngest Cameron boy. Just yesterday he got his surgery and hasn't been awake ever since, the doctor said that it would take some time before he's going to be awake again, still that didn't ease the worry that Kiara was feeling as she looked at the boy, holding his hand.

After the doctor announced the news, Charlie immediately went into surgery. JJ, John B and Pope wanted to come when it was over, but Ward didn't want them there and threatened John B that he would loose his only job, so the boys had no choice but to stay outside of the hospital, all night. Ward only let Kiara in because Charlie specifically asked for her to be there before he had surgery, so Mr Cameron had no choice but to let her.

Now, here they were, all seated around the unconscious boy. Kiara and Sarah next to him, each grabbing his hand tightly, while Rafe and Wheezie sat a bit further away. Ward and Rose went home for the night because they had business to attend and couldn't reschedule it.

"Why is it always him?" Rafe's voice echoed through the silent room as he was looking blankly at the wall in front of him. "Why's it always him that has to suffer? Ever since his birth he always got himself in trouble, especially this summer, because of these stupid Pogues!" Rafe shot out of his seat and started pacing back and forth running a hand through his hair.

"Rafe!" Sarah whisper shouted. "Calm down, will ya."

Rafe just ignored her and walked over to the door, but Sarah wasn't taking it. "Rafe, what are you going to do?" Rafe just kept going and ignored every sound she made. "Where are you going, Rafe, Charlie needs you."

This made Rafe stand still in his place as he turned around to Sarah, tears sliding down his face. "I swore to myself that I would protect him, so that's what I'm going to do." With that he walked away, leaving Sarah in a stunned silence and thinking: 'This can not be good.'

While Sarah still stood there wondering what Rafe's planning, Kiara inside the room shot up from her place as she saw Charlie open his eyes for the first time in 24 hours.

"Doctor! He's awake!" Kiara shouted from inside the room relieved. She looked down at the smiling boy and smiled back at him happily. "Hi." She spoke quietly, stroking his hair softly.

"Hello." He hoarsely spoke up, immediately clearing his throat, but wincing when a sharp sting shot up in his chest. "Ouch." He groaned at the feeling.

"You okay?"

"I'm okay, except when I think about how bad my hair must look today." He cracked a smile as the brown haired girl laughed softly, looking lovingly in his eyes.

"Still cracking jokes I see."

"Of course, anything to lighten up the mood, you know."

Kiara smiled at him and glanced down at his lips, before leaning down and almost capturing them, when someone loudly cleared their throat. She looked up and saw Wheezie and Sarah sitting there both with smirks grazing their features.