Part 12: Consequences

"I...I thought you weren't coming out tonight..." Draco had red eyes, as if he were crying. Not that he would never admit to that. He had the same rule as Pansy. Slytherins don't cry, or they cry alone. 

"I couldn't sleep," y/n said bluntly.

Draco cautiously move to his chair, waiting for y/n to tell him not to. The two sat there in silence for a minute, not daring to speak to one another. Finally, Draco seemed to find his voice. 

"Y/N, I--"

"No. Don't Draco. What you did wasn't okay. You can't do thing likes that. You can't rope me into that kind of thing with you. That isn't fair to me." Y/N paused for a moment to watch Draco. He turned to hide his face from her, but not before she saw his eyes water. "But...I can't hold grudges. Especially not against you." Draco looked over at y/n again, seeming confused. "Draco, you are one of the best friends I have ever had. Ignoring you, even for only a few hours, was killing me. And... I don't think you were using me. Your to thick to think up that smart of a plan," y/n said, smiling. She nudged Draco's foot with hers and Draco grinned sadly back at her. 

"Er...I really did want to learn those spells. When I got it wrong on Crabbe, I was worried that someone was going to figure out is was us, and get us in trouble, and I didn't you to get in trouble for what I did. I just thought, if I make it look like we were attacked, we could blame someone else, and it would seem like you didn't do anything. Blaming Potter just came to me in the hospital wing. I didn't know it would upset you. I...I'm sorry." as Draco looked down at his hands, y/n got the feeling that that was the first time he had ever sincerely apologized to anyone in his life.

"See! I knew you were too thick to think something like that up!" Y/N leaned forward, taunting him.

Draco laughed, "At least I'm not as thick as Crabbe and Goyle," he said, shoving her gently back into her seat, though they both knew he meant no insult to his friends. 

"Well, I thought that before, but now I'm not so sure..." Y/N studied him, pretending to need to figure it out. "Yeah, I don't think you're as far ahead as you think."

"Is that what you think?"

"It is," y/n said, barely holding back giggles. 

"Well then--"

"I knew it! I knew you two were sneaking out of bed every night!" Blante, the prefect, was standing behind their chairs, breathing heavily in anger. "Professor Snape didn't believe me, but now I have proof!"

Blante was talking so loud that multiple dorms were waking up, their inhabitants flooding into the common room, including those from y/n's own dorm.

Draco and y/n stood up, surprised at being caught. Draco opened his mouth to defend them, but y/n grabbed his wrist.

"I'm sorry. Were we being loud?" Y/N said sweetly. 

Blante scoffed. "I haven't slept in a week because of you two!"

"But this is the first time we've come out here...? I don't usually break the rules like this. I told Draco just the other day how I've never really been up passed lights out without permission. He told me--"

"If you've never been out here before tonight, then how do I here you every night?" Blante grinned, thinking he'd backed her into a corner. Oh, how wrong he was. 

"My dad told me once that your brain makes you hear what you want to hear, and--"

"Why on earth would I want to hear both of your high pitched voices in the middle of the night?"

"If you would let me finish, I would tell you," Onlookers laughed and giggled. "I heard that you used to sneak out of bed every night last year to snog your girlfriend. Maybe your brain is just making you hear us because you want to come out and see if she's out here waiting for you. You broke up over the summer though, didn't you?"