~twenty~

Camilo had not expected Elian to be at the creek, not that they were really complaining about seeing them. Especially once they learned about their talk with Natalia.

But they'd had something to do. So here they were a day later, at the creek, paper and pencil in hand. The sun was already up but it was still morning, Camilo had left as soon as they could after breakfast.

They were finally going to do it. They were going to tell Elian they liked them, just flat out. They were going to ask if they could date Elian.

At the very least Camilo felt like they owed them honesty. It's true they were worried about messing with their friendship, but Elian wasn't the type of person to quit over something like that.

Still. Camilo was nervous. Dolores had pointed out when they'd told her about it that Elian did flirt with them a lot. But Camilo was pretty sure that was just their Vibe.

Everything was confusing, but Camilo knew that the best way to sort it out would be to just tell them. So here they were, sketching the stream.

They were going to ask them out with an art project.

Hopefully Elian would appreciate it.

It was done. The picture was made of beautiful hues of green and blue, with a few yellow butterflies and purple flowers. Camilo thought it was gorgeous. They could only hope Elian did too.

They had concocted a plot: they had told Mirabel to tell Veronica to tell Elian to meet Camilo here. They supposed Mirabel could do it herself, they'd gotten closer as a result of the four of them's friendship dynamics, but this was more dramatic. And everyone knew Camilo liked drama.

Elian was gonna do it. She was going to tell Camilo she liked them.

She had spent all of last night writing a poem full of nerves and care, and now she was going to give it to them. They had gone to a more secluded place and tried to catch Dolores' attention and asked her to tell Camilo to meet Elian at the river. She hope Dolores had gotten the message.

It was after lunch when Veronica told Elian that Mirabel had told her that Camilo wanted to talk to Elian at the river. Elian was a little surprised, but it worked. So she walked down to the stream holding the poem in her hand, carefully avoiding clenching her hand and crumpling the paper. It had taken several hours Elian was nervous as FUCK.

"Hey, you wanted to see me?" Elian decided to play it safe and see what Camilo wanted first.

"Yeah."

Camilo smiled sheepishly at Elian. "I have something for you," they said, holding out a large piece of heavy paper.

"Oh! I have something for you too," Elian said, accepting it. She looked at the drawing.

It was a beautiful depiction of the riverbank they loved to visit, complete with yellow butterflies and Camilo and Elian's small figures sitting together with their feet in the water. There was a small speech bubble coming from Camilo, and Elian saw it read, "I like you."

Her brain froze.

"Date me?" Camilo asked hopefully.

"I can't believe you beat me to the question," Elian said, still in shock. "And did it in such a cheesy way. Nevertheless, the answer is yes."

She grinned at Camilo and looped their arms around their head, pulling them in. Elian raised an eyebrow, asking for permission.

Camilo nodded, and Elian brought her lips to meet theirs.

It was a gentle kiss, full of sweet, early love. They didn't need more than that for the first one. Everything else could come later.

Elian brought her head away. "We took long enough, didn't we."

"You're worth the wait, mi niña bonita."

"As are you, Madrigal mágica."

They enjoyed the moment for a minute.

"You had something for me too?"

"Oh! Yeah. I wrote you a poem. Looks like we had the same idea, hm?" She half-smiled at them. "Do you want to read it or have me read it to you first?"

"Read it to me please," they said, smiling.

Elian smiled nervously. "Okay." She cleared her throat and stared at the paper.

"I'm used to staying behind
I'm used to being alone
I'm accustomed to being stuck in my mind.
I'm accustomed to a life set in stone.

"You surprised me, brought me out
I thought I knew what I was doing
I pushed through any and all doubt.
I had no idea what I was viewing.

"This was perfect from the start,
I feel so free with you.
Here's hoping you accept my heart,
'Cause Camilo, I really like you."

There was a beat of silence, then Camilo clapped softly. "That's so sweet, Elian. Though you're one to talk about cheesiness."

Elian shoved them lightly. "Shut up! It was heartfelt. I love your picture, you owe me."

"Yes, I love your poem." Elian handed it to them, and Camilo read over it.

"Took forever," she grumbled.

Camilo smiled softly. "Well, I hope it was worth it."

"Of course it was, idiot." She kissed him gently. "I'm glad you like it."

"I'm glad you like my art."

"How could I not? It's gorgeous. Almost as much as you," Elian said with a wink. Camilo grinned.

They sat down at the riverbank, taking off their shoes and lounged with their feet in the water, holding each other's hands, both of them smiling widely.

There was no better place to be, nor a better person to be with, for either of them. The big l-o-v-e would come later. For now, they were content to be two teens with entwined souls.

They had found the peace they had always yearned for.

A/N

w o a h
storyline is done
Sorry for not updating for a while, I had midterm exams and was having some difficulties with the poem and stuff.
There will be an epilogue coming out soon too.
Hope you've enjoyed this fic, I've loved the journey!