Conversations in the dark

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry for yesterday. For what I said and for kissing you. I shouldn't have done either. I just got blinded by my jealousy and it popped out." He said, keeping his voice soft so as to not wake the others. Ronnie stood there leaning back against the sink watching him talk, not saying a word. He couldn't really see her face because she was in a swath of darkness so he couldn't get a read on what she was thinking. 

Bucky's nervousness began to grow the longer Ronnie didn't say anything to him. Fidgeting a little he shifted in his seat uncomfortable and worried by her continued silence. This must have been what it was like for others when he was Winter. A silent shadow in the dark waiting and watching. Eventually she put him out of his misery by walking back over. Although she shocked the hell out of him by climbing into his lap, twining her arms around his neck and laying her head on his shoulder. 

Cautiously Bucky brought his hands up and placed them on her back. Hugging her close when she nuzzled her face into his neck as she whispered, "Did you mean it?"

"That I've fallen for you?" He asked knowing that was what she meant, he just needed a second before he could answer. It felt like a trap, but he couldn't see how it could go any more wrong for him since he'd clearly stated how he felt the day before. Ronnie nodded as she played with the short hairs at the nape of his neck sending pleasant tingles down his spine that made him close his eyes and let out a shaky breath.

"Yes, I meant it. I didn't mean to tell you like that or at all really. Same goes for the kiss. There's just something about you that I can't hide how I feel and now I've ruined it. I want to go back to how we were before all of that. Go back to this." He tightened his arms around her pulling her body even closer to his. Adjusting her face a little had her nose running along his throat. He was sure she could feel how fast his heart was beating in his chest and against her lips that rested on his pulse point. 

Her warm breath ghosted across his skin as she spoke. "But we can't. You said it. It's out there now." He sighed as he rested his cheek on the side of her head. "I know, doll and I'm sorry."

"You know what I'm sorry for?" He hums waiting for her to tell him. "I'm sorry that our first kiss was done when I was upset with you." Bucky lifted his head to look down at her as best he could.

"What?" He was not expecting that to be her answer at all. First kiss? She's been thinking about kissing him? Before or after he kissed her? 

"I never imagined if I actually kissed you that it would be while I was cussing and shoving you into my panic room." She chuckles a little at the memory from yesterday. With his thumb he tipped her head back so he could better see her in the dark. Ronnie was still smiling when she looked up at him, amusement dancing in her beautiful eyes. 

A happy flutter filled his heart at the sight. "Oh yeah? And how'd you imagine our first kiss to be like?" 

Pressing her lips together she sat up keeping her hands cupped around the back of his neck. "Well, it would probably be on one of our lazy afternoons in my office or the living room. We'd be reading or just talking and it would happen gradually." She bites back a laugh. "Let's be honest, it'd probably be me who initiated it because you're a little skittish."

He pretends to gasp as he tickles her sides and whisper-shouts, "I am not skittish!" Holding in her laughter as best she can Ronnie lightly smacks his chest to get him to stop. Resting his hands on her hips he does so as to not wake everyone and ruin this wonderful moment between them.

"Are you telling me that had yesterday's excitement not happened you would have eventually kissed me?" Bucky shook his head no. She was right he wouldn't have done it, but not because he didn't want to. Ronnie tilted her head to the side in the way she does when she's thinking.