The Beginning of the End

Start from the beginning

Eagle sighed, and put his face in his hands. What had happened that it should come to this? A teenager, bossing around a SAS Unit that was supposed to be a family, but was instead operating like a group of egotistical, fresh recruits.

"I can't do this." He whispered to himself.

He really really couldn't. Ever since he'd joined the military something bad seemed to happen. 

First it was Alex, during their training. Then Wolf lying to them about Alex's mission, which, granted, they hadn't found out about until now. Next was Fox's departure. Falcon showing up with his own secrets. Becoming a family again.

And now this. Alex. Fox. Falcon.

It was like a broken record.

Again.

And again.

What would come next?

******************************

Five days later they got the call from Mrs. Jones.

Falcon wasn't coming home.

Eight days later and Alex still refused to leave his room and eat. He wouldn't talk, and he jumped at the tiniest of sounds.

Ten days, and Snake found Eagle sobbing on the back porch at two in the morning.

Thirteen days, and Mrs. Jones called again. They hadn't found anything in their search. They were giving up. There was nothing to be done. He was to be presumed MIA/KIA until further notice. Oh, and they would be getting a new member by the end of the week.

That night Wolf drank far too much than was probably good for him.

But it was at the two week mark that everything changed.

******************************

It was three in the morning, when the doorbell rang. Snake groaned and shoved his head further into the pillow. Of course, that's when it hit him that it was three in the bloody morning and someone was at the door.

Stumbling out of bed, Snake hastily pulled on some clothes and grabbed his gun. In the darkness of the room, Wolf spoke softly.

"Should I come with?"

"No need. I've got it handled. Go back to sleep. I'll call if I need help." He answered in a whisper, opening the door softly.

Wolf said nothing, but Snake could practically feel the frustration radiating off of him.

Ever since Falcon's... disappearance, they'd been distant and cold, avoiding each other as much as possible, which was honestly very difficult to do, because the house was considerably smaller than they were used too. Still, there were errands to be ran, and they'd managed it as well as could be expected.

Reaching the front door, Snake could hear the rain pelting the side of the house, and he flung open the door, gun out and at the ready. There was no need. It was just a school boy with a backpack. His hair was dripping down his face and he looked absolutely miserable.

"Look. I have no idea who you are but I was told that Alex Rider lived here and I'm his best friend from school, who he probably never talks about because he's just like that, and has a hard time trusting people which probably stems from his weird and traumatic experiences with a certain bank in London that's not really a bank and is actually the headquarters of MI6, but if he really is here than you already know all this and I don't have to explain anything. Now, will you please let me in. It's bloody cold out here."