𝟒. 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲

I walk out of his room with a smile, close the door behind me and bump into Richard. "Hey, you're still here?" he asks while we walk towards the locker room. "Yeah, but I'll go home now" I reply before he gives me another 'you work too much' speech.

"Amelia, you've been here since 7 am! It's 1am for God's sake!" he loudly adds, making me stop walking. "It's fine, Richard" I sigh, but he shakes his head.

"If you're gonna keep working like this the whole time, I'm firing you" he replies, making me smile. "No, you won't" I giggle, and he sighs this time.

"No, I won't, but I will give you time off. Lots of it, like, a year" he adds, and I look into his eyes now. "Y-you can't do that" I stutter, and he widens his eyes. "I can't? Watch me do it, Am" he replies, and he starts walking again.

"No! Wait, wait, I'll stick with my own shifts from now on, I promise" I quickly say before he fully walks away. "There's gonna be no taking over some other's shifts from now on, even your parents are worried about you" Richard tells, and I nod my head.

"I promise" I sigh, and I walk away again. I love Richard, he knows me so well! I get changed back into my own clothes and go home for the night. I wake up at 8am the next morning, and leave my house at 8.45 to start my shift at 9.30 today.

I get to the locker room, and get ready for another dat of work. My shift ends at 9pm tonight, but I don't think I'll actually stop at 9pm already. I help a few of my patients, and have a lunch break with my friends.

"What are you guys up to tonight?" Lily asks after Lexie, Mark, Derek and Callie left. "Nothing, yet. Wanna watch movies at my place? I just checked the schedule and we're all off tomorrow" Emily suggests.

"I'm in! How about you?" Lily asks, looking at me this time. "Sure, yeah I'd love to!" I reply, and they start cheering. I barely hang out with them anymore, now that I'm working every day.

We talk a little more, until someone taps on my shoulder. I look up, and see Mr Evans's nurse standing next to me. "Hey, um, Mr. Evans is asking for you. Do you think you could...?" she asks, asking me to come with her.

"Sure! Yeah!" I reply, standing up again. "Your break isn't over sweetie, we still have half an hour time-" Emily adds, but I interrupt her. "It's okay, I'll uh... I'll see you guys tonight in the locker room" I say, and I walk with the nurse.

"Okay so his family is here, and they want to know exactly what's going on and what the future holds" she explains while we walk towards his room, and she hand over his chart. "Alright, thank you" I reply with a smile, so she smiles back at me and walks away again.

I open the door to Mr. Evans's room, and walk in. There are 4 people here, so I smile at them and introduce myself as Doctor Morgan.

"Chris keeps saying it's not that bad, but he always downplays his own problems so, I was wondering if you could tell us more? Like, what's going to happen next? Will he be able to fully use his legs again some day? Will he... Will he be able to walk?" his mother asks.

"Mr. Evans has paraplegia, it means that both his legs are now paralyzed. It was caused by the cardiac arrest he had after he plane crash which was caused my a hypovolemic shock, and that was caused by the wound he has on his back. He has to stay here, in the hospital for 9 more days unless something happens to him" I explain.

"You had a cardiac arrest?!" his brother asks, looking at Mr. Evans on the bed. "Yeah, but I'm-" he tries to reply, but his mother interrupts him. "You should tell us those kind of things Chris, seriously! You could've died..." she adds, wiping away a few of her tears. I feel so bad for them...

"I-Is that what made his legs paralyzed?" one of his sisters asks, looking at me after looking at her brother

"I-Is that what made his legs paralyzed?" one of his sisters asks, looking at me after looking at her brother. "It was a spinal cord injury after the cardiac arrest, yes" I reply, trying so hard not to tear up right now.

"God... W-will he walk again? I mean, what happens now?" his mother asks again. "After the 9 days here, if there's no need for him to stay, he can go home. But only if there's a caretaker, he's not able to live on his own right now. Also, once he feels stronger, we'll start doing physical therapy which is supposed to help the process of healing" I explain.

The family and Mr Evans himself tell me that it sounds great, and that they really appreciate everything I'm doing for him. They're an amazing family, I can tell that they'd die for each other.

Suddenly, the doors open again. The family and I were just chatting about all kinds of things, so the person comes in and I look back. "Hi, I'm sorry to bother you. Doctor Morgan, can you come with me please?" Derek asks, smiling at Mr. Evans and his family.

"I'm actually busy right now, but I'll be with you when I'm scheduled to" I reply, letting him know that I do not want to talk to him right now. "It's an emergency-" he tries to add, but I interrupt him.

"No, it's not. You would've paged me if it was an emergency, Doctor Shepherd" I add, and I look back at Mr Evans and his family.

"Please, just a word" Derek adds, and I drop my smile. "I'm so sorry, I'll be right back" I say to them, and I walk with Derek for a second.

"What?" I ask, immediately getting nervous as I look into his eyes. "Look, baby, I miss you. I miss everything about you, I just want to try again. Don't you?" he asks, grabbing my waist again.

"No, Derek..." I sigh, looking doen because looking at him makes me even more nervous. "Come on, Am. We can start over! I don't even remember a fight or a reason why we even broke up" he chuckles, moving one of his hands to my ass.

"That's because there were tons of fights, every single day. The reason why I eventually broke up with you, is because I caught you cheating on me for the 6th time, the 6th time Derek" I tell, but he shakes his head.

"Yeah I know, but let's forget about that. I want to go all in now, for you" he replies, and my eyes tear up. "I just don't want to be with you anymore..." I silently say, making him smile.

"I can fix that, just go out with me for dinner tonight and I'll make it up to you afterwards" he adds, winking at me while he squeezes my ass a little. I push him away, and look right into his eyes.

"It's over, Derek. We're done, I'm done with you and I don't want you to keep asking me out and touching me like that. It makes me feel uncomfortable and... And scared in a way, I'm just- I'm done, I need you to leave me alone" I say, loud and clear.