Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"No?" Braden says, sounding shocked. He gestures back towards the house, "Man, I've watch you wallow and womp and grouch and be a sad little princess for the the last month. Face it, Kolbs, you're in love with the girl."

Love . . . Love is a very strong word.

Before I can speak, he hits my arm, "And don't start with how 'love is a big word'. You're right, it is, but how else would you explain it? Kolby, you haven't even looked at another girl since the night of the showcase."

I stop at a red light, and turn to face him entirely. He's right. Damn him and his sit and observe-ness. He knows too much.

I don't tell him any of that though, instead, I ask him the question I've been asking myself for the past seventy eight hours.

"How do I prove that?"

• • •

Lifting is grueling. By the time we're done, it's like every muscle in my body is on fire. Coach is up front, talking to us all. Being completely honest here, I haven't heard a word from his mouth. I'm fucking exhausted, and the last thing I want to here about is how we need to improve by the fall. For, like, the fiftieth time. Like, we get it. We've sucked ever since last years seniors left us. I'm not one of those guys who lives, eats, and breathes, football, I just play it because it's fun. Now, Jess, on the other hand . . . He's a great player, with the passion to last him a million life times.

         "— free to go, see you on Wednesday," I hear Coach say.

          Braden (who I think was also zoning out just as hard) and I practically sprint back to my truck, relieved to be away from the gym. It's only eleven, and the only food I've had was a damn granola bar. I look over at Braden, and wiggle my brows, "Triple Threat?"

          He shrugs, and then pats his stomach, "Could go for a burger."

         Triple Treat is a quick forty minute drive, and soon enough, the two of us are squished in a small booth in a corner of the little restaurant.

There's not many people inside, just a few older couples drinking coffee and talking loudly. Before us, is our food.

My plate is a pile of fatty meat and carbs, similarly to Braden's. We both got burgers, the largest ones on the menus, topped with bacon, and all the veggies. Fries, coated in cheese and bacon, and then a split appetizer of fried pickles lays between us. It's like a fucking feast.

We waste no time in chowing down, starving after the brutal workout we just pushed our poor bodies through. But damn, is the grease coating my tongue worth the work.

It takes us all of ten minutes to scarf down our food, down to the very last crumb.

"So," Braden says as he stacks our plates up at the door of the table. Then, he takes his hands and makes a rainbow, "Operation Make Indigo Believe Kolby Is Not A Fuck Boy, what is our first course of action?"

I scoff, shaking my head, and taking a swig of my Coke, "Fuck if I know." I gesture to him, "You've had girlfriends before, what did you do?"

"High school girls who want free Mexican food and Indigo aren't exactly comparable, bud."

I open my mouth to say something, but the two waitresses squealing makes both Braden and I turn in slight fear.

They're talking so loudly we don't even have to try and eavesdrop.

"I can't believe he did that for you," one of the girls says, smiling brightly, "It's so sweet."

"I know," the other girl says, and then she takes something out her pocket, "There was a love note, too."

"Flowers and a love note?" The original girl says, "God, Amy, he must, like, love you or something. I've never had a guy buy me flowers. I'm kind of jealous. Where'd you get him — Amazon?"

Braden and I whip our heads to face another, smiles blooming on our faces. Flowers.

"How the hell did we not think of that?" He mutters as we stand.

"Cuz we're fucking stupid."

He laughs as we head out of the door, towards my truck, and then, to the flower shop.

author's note:

thoughts?

anyways, check out the new cover!! i have very limited cover-making abilities, but i adore a minimal cover anyway!

i'm super excited — i'm going to start planning out the second book in this series soon, and though i love both indigo && kolbs, i'm thrilled at the idea of getting into other characters heads!! any thoughts on what's gonna go down in the second book?

also, very exciting news; this book is officially halfway posted! this second half is gonna be juicy, drama-filled, and overall just a grand ole time 🤪

do any of y'all have any song ideas for this book? i'm wanting to make a playlist for you guys, and give this thing an overall aesthetic revamp! i primarily listen to country music 😬 with some pop/rock in there too, so i'd love some recs you feel fit this story/the story's vibe!!

go follow my tiktok for more exclusive stuff && sneak peaks to future books:

beacons.ai/blondle

be sure to like, comment && follow if you feel so inclined!