Chapter 1 (Esther)

I hope you all like it!  Feel free to comment!

Esther- 1

1815           

            Esther studied the profile of the English woman that had stormed through the eroded door of the town’s orphanage.  Esther remarked subtly the dark brown of her hair, as well as her unruly curls.  She was of the upper-class, evident with the fine fur that laced her shoulders and the chic satin that hung from her hips.  Esther had once been coated in such splendor, the soothing memories floundering her head.   No, it hadn’t been that long ago that she had attended balls and gatherings as an admired debutante.  Things that would now be considered luxuries used to be part of her everyday affairs.  Jewels had hung from her smooth frame, though they were now replaced by the course collar of her apron.   Esther’s life had taken a drastic turn and this lady was a perfect reminder of her many losses. 

            “Hello?” called the woman.  Her English accent was heavy and would pose as a barrier in communication, seeing that she was in France.

            “How may I assist you?”  Esther replied as she emerged from the stairwell.  She had been educated to a high degree in her past and was fully literate and fluent in three languages, one of which was English.

            “Oh!” gasped the woman, her voice shrill and pleasant.  “May I speak with the headmistress?”

            Esther’s eyes darted to the door to Mme. Boson’s quarters.  “Is she expecting you?”

             A hint of panic passed through the deep green eyes of the woman, but vanished as quickly as it had come. “Yes, I believe she is expecting me.  Could you tell her that Claire has arrived?”

            The name sparked Esther’s curiosity as she nodded and turned to the uninviting residence of her mistress.  It was peculiar of the woman to refer to her personnel name, though Esther brushed the thoughts from her mind.   She hoped that this woman’s arrival would have the purpose of sparing a poor child of this hardship. 

                   “One moment.”

            The yellow walls and stale smell of the room was familiar to Esther, she had doted her boss’s every need for quite some time.  It had minimal character and was decorated in very bland tones.  Mme. Boson seemed to be occupied and Esther cringed at the possible consequences of her interruption. 

            Esther knocked lightly had the door, even though she had already entered.  Mme.  Boson looked up, her wrinkles seemed to be more profound as well as the unmistakable bags under her glazed eyes.  Esther explained the circumstances and watched the thin figure of her elder rise and follow her into the entrance.

            “Claire.” Mme. Boson greeted the woman who appeared to not have moved from her original place.  “I was under the impression that you would be arriving at an earlier hour.”

            Mme. Boson was never of the jolly sort and evidently had not resolved that flaw.  She said no more and led the poised Claire into her office. 

            “Now, I had assumed that you intended on choosing your child yourself, though I have noticed the absence of your husband.”  Mme. Boson questioned.

            Esther stood at the doorway, waiting for her dismissal.  Their conversation seemed to be of the usual.  Mme. Boson appeared to be a little friendlier with this foreign lady, though Esther dismissed the thought as quickly as Mme. Boson habitually did to her.