Stranger

Author's Note

This story will be featuring some strong themes such as violence, swearing, abuse, etc. if they bother you I would not recommend reading this story. YoU hAvE bEeN waRnED. (pls read at your own risk/discretion)

(y/n)'s pov

I sat up in my bed... an old mattress in an abandoned building that was to be torn down in the city. Sun shone in through the cracked window, bouncing off the broken glass on the floor like diamonds they shimmered. As I stretched out for a moment before getting up, I thought to myself, 'Just another day stuck in this shit life.'

I got ready, putting on some black cargo pants, hoodie, military-style boots, and a black face mask. Pulling my hood over my head, I grabbed a few things as I exited the abandoned building, jumping from a window to a nearby pole that I slid down. 

I landed on the ground, exiting the alley and then joining the numerous people walking through the streets. Purification Officers marched through the streets, stopping people at random to see if they were a hybrid, something I have never experienced first-hand... Unfortunately I did have to watch as they took an old friend of mine, who I haven't seen since. 

At the moment I was suppressing my true nature, like my friend I am a hybrid, but unlike me she couldn't hide her unique appearance. I stopped by the grocery store, picking up a few items and paying for them at the front in cash. 

"Breaking news. Hybrids have been banding together and seem to be plotting their next moves against the government. Purification Officers have received tips from civilians about groups of crow, cat, owl, weasel, rabbit, fox and eagle hybrids having formed throughout the city and the slums. We've received a few words from the Purification Officers, General Oikawa has said 'We are currently doing everything in our power to keep the citizens safe.' Lieutenant General Iwaizumi has not commented." 

"Those damn hybrids always causing trouble," the cashier said while ringing me up. 

I simply nodded in agreement with him, taking my leave quietly after he was done packing my items. 

After getting back to my place I put the bag down, grabbing a (drink of choice) from it before heading up to the roof. I took a couple sips of my drink before noticing something in the sky. 

'Is that a person?'

It was a bird hybrid of some sort flying away from jets that were likely being piloted by purification officers. 

"(Y/N) TELL THEM TO LET ME GO"

'It's not my problem'

"(Y/N)!!!"

The eagle hybrid was seemingly hit, now falling out of control. 

"PLEASE HELP ME."

'...'

I ran towards the edge of the rooftop, dropping my drink and taking off. Behind me two sets of wings had manifested, one of an albatross and the other of a phoenix. With my four wings I was able to gain altitude quickly, but as I got higher one of the two pilots turned their attention towards me. 

While one pilot continued after the eagle hybrid, the other had begun to dive down towards me. I pulled up, just enough to pass right over the cockpit, my (e/c) eyes meeting the dark brown eyes of the male pilot. I continued up faster than before, eventually slamming into the falling male and grabbing him before continuing up and past the second pilot. 

The two pilots seemed to have given up chase after I intervened. 

'I can't land anywhere in the city or near it now.'

I put away my phoenix wings, to draw less attention to the sky, the white side of my albatross wings blended in with the clouds from below. Looking down at the boy he seemed to be unconscious, his sandy hair partially over his face. 

"Hey wake up," I said, still holding him and gliding towards the outskirts of the city. Something dark in color then flew up in front of me, "Yo what the hell," I called to the thing. It  stopped, looking down at me, glowing red eyes full of hostility. 

'This isn't a hybrid-' 

I started to fly again, seeing as though that thing didn't want to speak. "Behind you," the boy called suddenly. The dark creature had slashed at me, just barely missing. 

I manifested my phoenix wings again, "What the hell is that," I asked the male who seemed like he had encountered it before. 

"I don't know." 

"What do you mean you don't know." The thing attempted to strike me again, my fiery wings burning the creature who let out a cry. 

"What are you" he asked me, fear filling his voice. 

"Just another hybrid," I answered, looking back towards the creature who was no longer in pursuit of us.