Chapter 7 - What We Gonna Do here is Go Back

Start from the beginning

"Your finger is cold!"

"My bad." Sumiko took her finger away from the tattoo. "So, what's the story of that tat? Because I think I've seen someone with the same tattoo before."

I put my shirt back on and turned around to look at her. "You have?"

"Yeah, it was like a year or two ago when this tall dark skinned beauty walked into my store" she started.

"Why does this sound like another hookup story?" I thought as I sat there and listened to her.

"She was definitely the definition of a baddie." Sumiko looked at my face and could tell I just wanted her to get on with the story. "Anyways, she came into the store one day looking for a 30 inch blonde lace front wig. So as the store's only employee and store manager, I helped her looked for what she wanted. As I was helping her, I couldn't help but notice the tattoo on the back of her right shoulder."

"Hmm."

"Then after that day, I saw her a couple more times until one day she stopped showing up."

"I guess she found another hair store to shop at." Sumiko shot me a glare. "What?"

"Honey, you know my hair store is the best in all of Japan."

"Yeah, yeah. I know that." I started to think to myself about the story she just told me. "I guess she probably just moved somewhere or she was just visiting the city?"

"I guess so." Sumiko now was nudging me with her elbow. "Okay, now its your turn to spill the beans about that tattoo."

"Hmm, let's see. I think I got it when I first started dancing in clubs."

"Go on."

I sat there and try to recall my thoughts. "I also think it was around the time Satori gave me this apartment and when I first met you."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Sumiko got up from the couch and went into the kitchen. There she found a box of unopened popcorn and took a bag out, putting it into the microwave. "Sumi, what are you doing?" I asked her as I watched her grab two drinks from the fridge. They were some sort of fancy lemonade Satori had probably put in there a few weeks ago.

"Just prepping for story-time." The microwave went off and she took the bag of popcorn out. She then went over to the cabinets and grabbed a bowl, pouring the popcorn into it. "Almost done." With popcorn and drinks in hand, she finally came back to the couch. She handed me one of the lemonades and sat on the down, facing me and criss crossing her legs. "Okay, I'm ready now."

"Wow." I turned to face her. "You act like this story is going to be a movie or something."

"It probably will be, depending on how long it is." She grabbed some popcorn and ate it. "Want some?"

I declined for now. "I'll eat some here in a little bit." I tapped my index finger against my chin. "Now, where do I start..."

~~~

I was roughly around the age of 21 going on 22 when I decided to live in Tokyo. Since I originally was just visiting the country, I only had what money I had saved up for trip and that was running on empty at this point. I didn't really know what to do about the problem, so I went to the internet about the different jobs here in Tokyo. Of course I came across the usual jobs of being a fast food worker or a retail worker, but I wasn't really interested in those jobs.

"You know, I could always try that stripper thing I joked about in high school" I thought as I looked up nightclubs near the area I was in. I came across a few different results and bit the bullet. "I might as well give it a shot."

I did a couple more searches online and even watched some Youtube videos about people dancing/performing in nightclubs. "I guess I should get some new clothes for this job" I said as I got up out of my hotel bed. I checked my bank account and put a little of what I had in my savings in my checking account. "I can't go too wild on the outfit because I don't even know if I'll get the job or not" I told myself as I left the hotel room. "Hell, I don't even know if I can still dance like I did back on prom night."

An hour or two went by and I brought an outfit or two for the club I was going to apply for. I didn't really have much hope on me getting this job to be honest. "Only one way to find out" I thought as I entered the building and told one of the workers there that I was here to apply for a job as a dancer. The worker told me what to do and who I should talk to about the job. "Okay, one step down another thousand more to go."

After what seemed like an hour of walking around and looking for the people I needed to talk to, I was able to sit down and take a breather. "Okay, I filled out an application but now I have to wait to see if they'll call me or not." I stood up from the chair/stool I was sitting on and got ready to leave the building. Just as I was about to walk outside, I heard my phone ring and I reached into the bag I put it in. "I don't recognize this number" I thought as I hesitated to answer it. "I'll answer it just this once." I slid the green answer button across the screen and put the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"Is this (Y/n) I'm speaking to?"

"Yes it is."

"Okay good. I'm calling to tell you that you've got the job."

My heart stopped for a brief moment upon hearing that news. "Really?!"

"Yes."

A part of me couldn't believe this was happening. "That was a lot easier than I thought it would be" I thought as the woman on the phone kept talking.

"If possible, do you think you can come in tonight?"

"Of course I can!"

"Good. I look forward to working with you." The lady hanged up the phone and I just stood there.

"Wait a minute. I just agreed to working tonight and I don't even know what I'm really doing!" I exclaimed. I quickly went back to my hotel room and got ready. "She didn't really say what time I should be there" I thought as I pulled up a couple of Youtube videos on my phone again. I was researching what all was expected of me as a dancer/entertainer at a nightclub. "Okay, this doesn't seem that bad." I kept watching the videos till the taxi driver arrived at the nightclub and dropped me off. I thanked them and paid them the money I owed them. "Okay (Y/n). You can do this" I told myself. I took a few deep breaths and mentally prepared myself. "I got this."

...hours later went by and I walked out of the building with tears in my eyes. I did not have a good time back there and I just wanted to go back to my hotel room, curl up into a ball, and die. "I...I should have known better" I cried as I got into the taxi. I sat in the backseat, silently crying to myself. "I'm never going back" I thought as I waited for the taxi driver to take me back to the hotel.

Once I got back to the hotel, I went into my room and hid underneath my blanket. I still had tears in my eyes but I was slowly calming down. "Why did I think I had the confidence to go in there like that?" I let out a sniffle. "I'm so dumb." I laid on my side and eventually fell asleep.

The next morning I stayed in my bed. I didn't really plan on going anywhere today. "Maybe I should play the lottery and get money that way" I thought as I scrolled through random people's post online. "But I don't think my luck's that great." I let out a sigh and put my phone to the side, rolling over onto my back. I stared at the ceiling. "I really need to get a job soon though."