Long Long Lost - Part 1

********************************************

Henry sat in the passengers seat of Emmas car, studying the final illustration of the Book intently. The strangest thing about the Book, the first thing hed realised, was that it was incomlete – a fairytale without an ending – and it didnt make sense. It was the first clue that put him on this little mission; all fairytales have an ending, so why didnt this one? But the answer was obvious: the story wasnt over. There was no happy ever after not yet.

The door opened and his birth-mother took her seat, handing a small box over. I got donuts, she stated, then sat back and took one. Sugar glazed with chocolate sprinkles, Henrys favourite. What did you wanna talk about?

Henry took a doughnut in one hand and the pages of the Book in t\he other, careful not to get any sweet stickiness on the pages. The last page of the story.

What about it?

Henry handed the Book over for Emma to see. I didnt tell you before, but you werent the only one your parents sent here. He said convincingly, pointing to the illustration with his cleanest finger. Your sister went too.

The woman stared at him for a moment. My sister? And the boy nodded eagerly in return.

Growing up, Emma had thought about having a sister; it would have made it easier, having one constant person in her life, someone to go through it all with her. But she thought shed grown out of that, apparently not; her heart fluttered at Henrys words, as if it were begging to believe it was true. And for a fraction of a second, hope swayed her. But she wouldnt admit it – it as a silly childhood fantasy.

Her names (Y/N), Henry went on, Charming sent you in first, then her. So shes here too – in our world.

Henry deflated, picking up another doughnut. I havent figured that out yet

Looking back to the picture, Emma admired its beauty. The soft tones of watercolour paint and delicate brushstrokes; and the two blurry faces wrapped in blankets.

Where do you think she is? Asked Henry in a quiet voice, unsure of her reaction. If only someone would remember

********************************************