Chapter 3 : Paradisiacal Souvenirs

Start from the beginning

"Tumhara wait," he answered as if that was all she needed to connect the dots. But Akshara's brain was literally betraying her at this point.

"What? Lekin tumhe kaise pata chala ki mei yaha hu?" she inquired quizzically. "Maine toh tumse kaha tha ki mei tumse nahi mil sakti hu," she voiced out as she tried to get a hang of the entire situation and all Abhimanyu did was smile at the uncertainty spread all over her face.

"Iski wajah se," he replied as he took one of her hands and placed it on his heart. "Isse tumhare aas-paas hone ka ehsaas ho hi jaata hai," he elucidated further and she tugged her hand out of his clasp before shifting glances all around the room as heat bloomed to her cheeks. That was until she realized that she had lost the bag that held Abhimanyu's gift and started to look around the room. Her forehead was creased with worry lines as she tried to find the package. The sudden change in her expressions confounded Abhimanyu.

"Kya dhundh rahi ho?" he questioned but she ignored him as she continued her search. Abhimanyu was curious about the object that had her undivided attention when a spectacular smile spread across her face as she spotted the bag under the couch. She quickly bent down to grab the bag while Abhimanyu stared at her actions in an absolute daze. Once she was up, she finally diverted all her attention back to him. She held the bag out for him and Abhimanyu glanced from her to the bag and back to her with questions written all over his face.

"Yeh tumhare liye hai," she clarified and Abhimanyu took the parcel from her hands.

"Kya hai ismei?" he asked dubiously and Akshara rolled her eyes.

"Tumhe surgeon kisne banaya?" she questioned sarcastically, out of nowhere, and Abhimanyu raised an eyebrow in astonishment. "Gift hai. Kholkar dekho. Pata chal jayega," she delineated in a way one unravels to a 3-year-old and Abhimnayu regarded her warmly.

"Tum jaanti ho na ki tum mujhe mera birthday gift already de chuki ho?" he asked, referring to the events of the afternoon, and an earnest smile stretched across her face.

"Jaanti hu. Lekin please ab isse bhi kholkar dekh lo," she urged impatiently and Abhimanyu chuckled at her behaviour. And without further interrogation, he pulled a box out of the bag and lifted the lid only to find a mild gray tuxedo with a white shirt and a tie that matched Akshara's gown. His eyes lit up at that tiny little detail she had added to color-coordinate their outfits and his heart clenched with tenderness.

"Ye-yeh mere liye hai?" He stuttered through his question, unable to grasp that his reality was finally better than his dreams. And Akshara rolled her eyes for the second time in the span of 5 minutes. What was up with Abhimanyu today? Why was he acting as if she'd been doing something that he could never have expected? It was his birthday and she bought him a gift. Isn't that what everyone does for birthdays?

(A. N. - Their outfits are in the media box)

"Tumhe kya hua hai Abhimanyu?" She inquired as her forehead creased in wonder. "Aaj tumhara birthday hai aur mei tumhare liye gift laayi hu. Ismei itna shock hone wali kaunsi baat hai?" She asked with genuine curiosity and Abhimanyu glimpsed at her with tender eyes. Sometimes she could be so naive. She had already given him the best birthday gift by not holding back her feelings for him and there was nothing else that Abhimanyu wanted anymore. Except maybe one more thing. But that would have to wait. He kept the box on the table and instead of sticking with words to express how he felt, he pulled her in for a hug and kissed the top of her with the kind of fondness that would express each of his emotions to her. A brilliant smile flickered across her face as she hugged him back with all her might.

"I love you," he whispered ardently.

"I love you too," she replied back with the same intensity. They stayed that way for a few minutes before Akshara pulled back. "Ab jaao, aur jaakar change karo," she adjured as she picked up the box and shoved it in his hands before pushing him towards the attached bathroom. And even though numerous questions burned at the base of his throat, he gulped them back and reluctantly left to change. "Ab dusre surprise ki baari," she mumbled excitedly to herself and left.