Chapter 1

I stand on the edge of the fifty story building, looking down at the street far below.

No one would care.
No one would bat an eye.

Tears fall from my eyes, blurring my vision and making the lights below become small glowing globs.

"Are you planning to jump?"

I turn around, startled, to the voice.

The Homelander stands atop the building with me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask thickly, swiping away my tears.

"I just happened to be flying on patrol and I saw you," he answers.

"Well don't worry," I turn back around, "you'll have one less person to worry about in a minute."

"Why do you want to jump?"

"Because no one cares, and no one ever will," I squeeze my eyes closed, more tears escaping them, "now can you please just go."

There's a pause and I can almost believe that he has left except for the fact that I can still feel his eyes on me.

"I'm not gonna leave," he says, his voice soft.

"Why not?" I turn to face him again, "just go."

"No," he takes a step closer.

"Why not?" I shout, anger rising.

"Why do you want to jump?"

"Because no one cares!"

"I'm still here," he takes another step closer, "would I still be here if I didn't care?"

"You don't even know me," I harshly wipe away more tears.

"So? What does that have to do with anything?" Again, another step, "you don't have to know someone to care about them commiting suicide."

I sniff and look down at him as he's now only a foot away from me.

"Come one let's get you down from there," he extends his hand and I flinch and take a step back on instinct.

My foot hits nothing but air and everything seems to slow as I begin to fall back.

At first, I feel relief.
It's all gonna be over. I won't have to deal with the pain anymore.

Finally.

But then, I feel fear.
I'm about to fall to my death. Fifty stories below. I'll be nothing but a pile of limp limbs and blood spatters across the concrete.

Wait.

My sister, I can't leave her with our dad. He'll beat her like he did me. She'll grow up secluded from the world. She'll probably do the same thing I'm doing now.

Killing herself.

I open my eyes and can see Homelander. He's heading for me.
He won't make it.

Everything comes back to speed and I can hear the screams of the people now not so far below.

I guess this is it.
I guess this is goodbye.

I'm sorry I can't be there for you Sammie.

I hit the concrete with a hard thud, and my entire body erupts in pain.

Homelander lands beside me only a few seconds after I've connected with the solid ground.

"Oh my God!" A woman cries.

"She should be dead," a man's voice, "that drop should have killed her instantly."

"How is she still alive?"