Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

George laughed at his brother before turning back to Theo and Alastriona, "Why don't you ask Katie Bell? Cormac McLaggen asked her but he's a bit of a sleaze, really."

Theo hesitated, "I don't want to ask and then be turned down just because I'm in Slytherin." It wasn't something they often talked about, the judgment that comes with wearing the Slytherin House crest. 

George frowned, which was odd to see because he wasn't usually very serious. "Katie isn't like that, a lot of us aren't—" He flinched at his own words, "Well, we used to be," he admitted, glancing at Fred who was now dancing around Blaise, flapping his wings like a giant bird, "but not anymore." He finished with a smile. "Ask Katie, Theo. What harm will it do?"

Theo couldn't think of a reason not to, "All right, I'll ask her."

George grinned, "Come back to Gryffindor Tower tonight and I'll get her to go outside. You don't want to wait till tomorrow, trust me." With that warning George left the two alone.

Theo was smiling again, "I reckon you're right, Little Red," he slung his arm over her shoulder, "it feels easier with the right people around." Alastriona smiled sweetly up at him, "Now, teach me to dance!"

Alastriona squealed as Theo picked her up and put her down in the middle of the room, "Theo! There isn't any—"

She'd been about to say 'music' but then music poured into the room. Lee Jordan had provided. He'd brought along his own charmed wireless radio and it was playing the soft, soothing voice of Celestina Warbeck.

Alastriona was laughing now, "All right, Theo," she guided one of his hands to her back and held onto the other, "let's start with a simple waltz."

Alastriona lead Theo around the room a couple times before he was comfortable to lead, "I'm an amazing dancer!" Theo announced, he picked Alastriona up and spun and when her feet were back on the ground she was by Cedric's side.

Theo twirled off till he was in front of Blaise, "Dance with me, Blaise!" Theo left no room for argument, he grabbed Blaise's arms and forced him to waltz.

Alastriona was in a fit of giggles, this was one of the best nights she'd had at Hogwarts and even if tomorrow didn't live up to expectations, then this memory would be enough.

Alastriona and Cedric were sitting down, munching on Chocoballs, "Are you nervous about the ball tomorrow?" Alastriona was curious seeing as it was going to be Cedric's first date with Cho, the Ravenclaw Seeker.

"Not even slightly." Cedric replied, grinning, "I've figured out the clue, I'll be dancing with Cho, and you'll be there to make sure I don't have food caught in my teeth." He teased, poking her nose.

Alastriona playfully swatted his hand away, "I suppose I can manage that." She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "Will I get to dance with the champion or will I have to peel you away from Cho?"

Cedric reached over and grabbed her hand, squeezing it gently, "After that first dance I'm coming straight to you, Red." 

Alastriona moved her chair closer to Cedric and waved Dawn over, "We need a photo, you know, before you win and the fame goes to your head and you forget all about me." She said, Cedric pinched her cheek in response, Dawn was laughing while she took the photo.

" She said, Cedric pinched her cheek in response, Dawn was laughing while she took the photo

It was past eleven that night when Alastriona checked her pocket watch. She'd been sitting with Draco, Blaise, Fred and Theo, just talking, she sighed regretfully, "I should head back, I've got to put the finishing touches on my dress."

"You're making it?" Blaise questioned, she hadn't mentioned anything before.

"No, I brought the dress, I just wanted to change it a little..." Alastriona said sheepishly.

Draco was smiling at her, he couldn't help it, "I'll walk you back." He said.

Alastriona said goodnight to everyone, hugging them all before she left. Draco held her hand on the walk back to the Hufflepuff Common Room.
Draco treasured every single moment in Alastriona's presence, he felt like a better version of himself whenever she was near and he wanted to tell her this but he didn't want to scare her away, either.

Alastriona was humming as they walked, "That was such a perfect night." She sighed out wistfully, "Were you okay with all the Gryffindor's being there tonight?" She asked carefully.

"Don't tell anybody I said this, but I think they're all right, not too bad for Gryffindor's." He whispered, smirking down at Alastriona.

"That's good, I really like our group of friends."

This caused Draco to smile, she was the one who brought everyone together, it was because of her they could have a night like this.

They came to a stop outside the barrels that made up the entrance to the Hufflepuff Common Room and Alastriona turned to Draco and wrapped her arms around his neck, she kissed him softly before going back on the souls of her feet, "Thank you, Draco, it wouldn't have been a perfect night without you." Draco was shaking his head at her, smiling, "What's so funny?" She asked playfully.

His fingers tucked a stray red curl behind her ear, "It wouldn't have been possible without you, Red."

Draco leaned down and kissed Alastriona, softly, deeply, just for a few seconds before he pulled away, he placed a feather light kiss on her forehead and when Alastriona opened her eyes Draco was walking back down the corridor, he turned his head before he went around the corner and flashed her a grin.