Chapter 40

I feel like I'm breaking rules when I sneak down the corridor late that night to knock on his door. Maybe I am. There could have been something in the contract about not hooking up with guests, but it's too late for that now. Sophie knew what I was doing since last year and they still invited me back in. Another late-night conversation can't do much more damage at this point. Still, I keep looking around me, waiting for someone to come out of their room while I wait for an answer. When Marius does open the door, I jump which makes him grin. "Were you expecting someone else?" "Of course not. But it feels wrong to be here this late," I admit and make my way past him into the room to get off the corridor. He's still chuckling when he closes the door after us. "I'm working here. I want them to take me seriously and I don't want to get into trouble because someone saw me sneak around the guest's corridors late at night. Especially with official guests like you," I say. "I'm glad you came despite your worrying," he says, takes a step forward and kisses me before I can keep rambling about breaking hotel rules. Which of course I've been thinking about way too late. I should have considered those a year earlier already. Still, being in his room feels different from us meeting on the rooftop. "I wanted to see you. I know we don't have much time if you don't fall sick again and stay longer. And I wouldn't want that to happen," I say when he lets me go again. Then I take a moment to look around the room. It's weird to think that I might have cleaned it only a day ago without knowing whose it would end up being because they all look the same on this corridor. And still, now that he's in it, with all his stuff laying around, it seems different, like it should have stayed in my memory before. "You don't need to plan any redecoration this time. I'm only going to be here for one more night because I'm not planning to get sick." He sits down on his and pulls me towards him until I stumble against the bed frame and have no choice but to sit down beside him, despite it making my worries worse. The rooftop was definitely less dangerous ground than his bed late at night. "What exactly are you planning for this night?" I ask and can't keep my voice from shaking. He grins. "More talking. That's what you came for didn't you?" I swallow. "Talking like we did the whole afternoon? Yes, sure." I try to remember what points I wanted to make when I left Maja in our room to come here after he texted me. We've spend the afternoon walking back to the village, eating at a restaurant and getting used to being around each other again. I've been right. It still felt familiar. It's easy to be around him. And being here, next to him now, the last thing I want to have is a serious conversation. So I let myself back on the covers of his bed and look at the ceiling. "Funny, I've been working here for some time now and I never really considered what the ceiling of the rooms looked like. I couldn't even tell you if it's the same in each room," I say. He lays down beside me. "Well I can tell you that it's white and blank like most hotel room ceilings. I stare at them for a good part of the year." "Fair point. I never thought about decorating the ceiling last year, although one can spend a lot of time looking at it," I say and run my hand over the blanket until I find his, trying to make it all casual. "But it's the same at home, isn't it?" He moves a little closer. "When I was little I actually considered putting posters on the ceiling over my bed to have something to look at. But my parents didn't allow it and I was too small to do it myself," I say. He turns to look at me, propped on one elbow. "Aren't you still too small?" I nudge his shoulder. "Maybe, but you don't have to remind me of that. Besides, until know I never considered sticking something to the ceiling again." "Then stop considering it again. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the effort or fall right off thanks to gravity," he says and leans over to kiss me again. I let him. That night, we don't get any talking done until it's too late and I go back to my own room.