Chapter 5 - Darcy

Start from the beginning

"Any moment now. I will hear his report and inform you immediately." I took this opportunity to escape and went back to my room, fighting the urge to walk by Miss Bennet's room and hear sisterly whispers coming from it. Mr. Lamb found me with a pen in hand, though I had written nothing since the unexpected arrival of Miss Elizabeth; I was too distracted by her coming and by how good and generous I could be—I did save her the embarrassment of appearing like a fright before all of the house. Unfortunately, the prognosis was not good.

"Mr. Lamb says she is very ill," I informed the breakfast-parlor. Miss Bingley looked worried; her brother looked aghast. "She is likely to recover in his care, however, and he recommends not moving her."

"Of course we are not moving her!" cried Bingley. "Oh, this is all my fault."

"Charles, how can it be your fault? You were not even here."

He had no answer to this, but his face still conveyed the unequivocal belief in him being complicit. I feared no amount of logic would help in this situation.

"Now that the matter is resolved, I suppose we should be going, if we are to keep our engagements," I said.

"Naturally, I am not going. Miss Bennet is gravely ill."

"Miss Bennet has a cold. A bad cold, but a cold nonetheless, and the doctor is not worried," insisted Mrs. Hurst, who thought all of this to be exaggerated excitement.

"Even so, seems like ill manners to leave."

Miss Bingley regarded me with pleading eyes. If Bingley was to stay, he would be a nervous nightmare and a true annoyance, unable to be helpful and unable to keep still. We were in agreement there.

"Bingley, come now. What do you suppose you can do in the matter? Miss Bennet needs rest and care, which will be provided for her here by your sisters, Miss Elizabeth and Mr. Lamb. Do you wish to be in their way and an additional burden to take care of; not to mention disappoint your friends and neighbors?"

It did not take it long to convince him and we left the house to the ladies. Bingley bore his anxiety much better in public—even if he was a wreck on the inside, on the outside he was his cheerful self. The notion that Miss Bennet would still be at his house probably helped, while I was warmed by the idea that Miss Elizabeth had come but was unlikely to stay.

***

"Miss Elizabeth is staying," Miss Bingley informed us upon our return. Bingley thought it a grand idea and wondered why he himself did not think to offer it; however, I was seized by terror. I was not at all prepared for Miss Elizabeth to stay.

"Miss Elizabeth is staying?" I repeated as if I might have misheard.

"Her sister is very unwell—worse than in the morning. When it was time for Miss Elizabeth to go, Miss Bennet got very distraught about the idea, and I thought it best to invite her to stay," Miss Bingley explained apologetically for my ears only.

"You did well," I acknowledged and, thus, was rewarded with her satisfied smile.

A strange mixture of dread and excitement took hold of me—dread because she was likely to be upset and I hated to think of her as unhappy; excitement because I liked the lady and selfishly was pleased that I had an excellent excuse to see more of her. My excitement soon won, which was an issue in itself—I hardly wished to seem too pleased, considering the circumstances.

Miss Elizabeth joined us for dinner, thankfully looking more put-together than in the morning, though scarcely more energetic. She was likely worn out by the day and saddened by her sister's predicament, which gave her eyes a melancholic look of such magnitude and beauty that for several moments I could only stare and wish most inexcusable things.