Unexpected confession

Start from the beginning

The hurt that flashed across his face when that was her answer to his declaration made her feel really bad, but he'd just sprung that on her out of the blue. What else did he expect from her? Making a run for it she closed the door to the walk-in closet and shut it tightly behind her bracing her back against the door as if he'd bust it down.

Had he really just confessed his love for her?! This was huge, but so not the right timing and how was she supposed to even respond to that? 'I'm in love with your best friend and I definitely find you attractive and oh by the way you're kind of right about the jerky handsome god downstairs?'

Yeah, like that would go over well.

Sitting down heavily on the bench between the racks of her brother's clothes Ronnie clutched her head in her hands. First Steve, then the bombing and basically every known government agency after them, Loki back on earth and now this? She was beyond overwhelmed and didn't know what to do. There wasn't anyone she could talk to and the one person that had immediately popped into her head she wasn't currently talking to.

Could this day get any worse? Probably. Just because it was her, most definitely. What had she done to have all of this fall into her lap all at once?

Softly groaning Ronnie stood up and stripped off her dress and grabbed down one of Tony's shirts and a pair of sweatpants. Both were too big, but it was better than trying to lounge in her tight Prada dress. Tiptoeing over to the door she pressed her ear up to it to see if she could hear if Bucky was still in there, but the door was too thick.

~~~

Bucky's POV

He watched as the panic filled her hazel eyes and then stood there as she fled the room to the closet. He shouldn't have told her that. It was too soon and she clearly wasn't ready, but he couldn't help it, it just came pouring out of him. As she was justifiably ranting at him for butting into her personal life she made the comment about not being her boyfriend and he had just blurted it out.

Hanging his head for a second before stripping off his suit jacket and tossing it on the bed Bucky ran his hands over his face in self exasperation. He was a jealous idiot. When it was just Steve he could have backed off, but something about Loki set him off. He didn't like the way the god looked at or talked to Ronnie as if he had her first. Bucky definitely didn't like the way that she responded to him either.

As if she was drawn to Loki on some deep subconscious level that even she couldn't stop herself from responding in kind.

Sitting down hard at the foot of the bed he stripped the expensive dress shirt off and tossed it on top of his coat leaving him in just a white tank undershirt, slacks and shiney new dress shoes. He wanted to go for a walk, but that meant going back downstairs past the man who'd caused this whole fight between him and Ronnie and Bucky wasn't ready for that.

He could hear her moving around in there after a few minutes, it sounded like she was changing. Her need for privacy overrode his need to avoid the man downstairs. Reluctantly standing up Bucky looked towards the closet door for a long moment before crossing to the bedroom door and exiting. Making his way down the hall towards the stairs he mentally prepared himself to deal with two new strangers, one of whom he already didn't like.

Not trying to hide his approach he noisily walked down the stairs until he stood in the open living room. Sitting in a chair by the window was Loki reading a book with a smirk on his face. Ignoring him he made his way to the front door. Thor called out to him from the kitchen entryway. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Why not? I thought this place was secluded." Bucky asked, hand on the door knob.

"Because while Ronnie is upset with you she will worry if you aren't here when she comes down." Shoulders hunching for a second he let out a deep sigh because the tall blonde was right. She would worry and she was already stressed out enough as it was.

"I'll be on the porch." Is all he said as he opened the door and stepped out into the sunshine. Even if he couldn't go on a walk he still least needed to get some air.

Plopping down in one of the many wooden chairs Bucky tipped his head back and closed his eyes. Nothing was turning out the way it was supposed to. He half wished that Steve had never found him or at the very least he had refused to go with him. Immediately he felt guilty for thinking like that, especially after all Ronnie had done for him. He really didn't miss these kinds of emotions when he was Winter.

The sound of the door opening had him opening his eyes, but he rolled them when he saw who had come out. Loki. Closing them again he hoped he'd just go away if he ignored the god.

No such luck.

"I couldn't help but overhear yours and Veronica's little.. conversation." Barely restrained amusement filled the other man's voice as he came over to sit near Bucky.

"Go away." He lifted his head and opened his eyes to glare at the god seated across from him.

"Now that's no way to make friends. Come now, we are to share this residence for the foreseeable future and we should try to get along if not for anything other than our fair Veronica's sake." That made Bucky angry and he knew exactly what Loki was trying to do. He wanted him to cause a scene to make him look bad for Ronnie to prove some kind of point, but he wouldn't fall for it.

"She's not your anything and I don't have to be your friend to stay here. All I have to do is not upset her by getting your blood on Tony's floor." He said, clenching his hands into fists on his thighs. Loki laughed at his threat.

Looking him over with a sneer he informed him. "You'll find I'm not like mortal men. I am not so easily hurt. So please, I beg you to try Midgardian, because it has been an age since I've had a good fight."

"Neither of you will be fighting today or any other day. You'll break Tony's property and royally piss off Ronnie which I doubt either of you want" Thor said, coming out to try and keep the peace.

Shifting his eyes to the other god Bucky reassured him he was fine. "Don't worry I won't touch him. He's not worth my time or Ronnie's."

Loki leaned forward with a raised brow and a clenched jaw. "How about we let her decide that for herself, mortal."

"You know you keep calling me mortal like it's an insult, but you see I don't have to be a god to kick your ass. I'm not like other 'Midgardians' and I don't just mean this." He sits up with his metal arm resting on his knee with his hand dangling between his knees drawing the gods attention to his fully exposed arm. Giving him an assessing once over, Loki stays quiet as he stares at him intently.

"Brother, knock it off and stay out of his head. Ronnie will not like it and you'll only antagonize Sergeant Barnes." He could fucking read minds?! Great, what else could he do? Grinning at him Loki stood up and giving him a dismissive look walked back inside.

Coming over to sit in his brother's abandoned seat Thor apologized. "I'm sorry about Loki. He's spent much of the last four years alone in a cell for his crimes committed here on Midgard as well as his treasonous acts on Asgard and forgets his manners." He gives the direction Loki went, an exasperated glance that only an older brother can give. "It has been a very trying week."

"It's not all on him. I let him get to me and didn't ignore him like I should have." Standing up he excuses himself. "I need to make a phone call. Let Ronnie know I'm down by the lake if she asks for me?"

Giving him a genuine smile of happiness in the simple task he tells him, "Of course Sergeant. I will also talk with Loki so as to not cause any more difficulties."

Nodding his thanks Bucky meandered down the steps of the porch pulling out his cellphone as he made his way to the lake. Scrolling to Steve's contact he tapped on it and held the phone up to his ear. He knew it wasn't going to be an easy conversation to have, but he didn't want to hide anything from his friend and he desperately needed backup. "Steve, it's me. You need to get here fast, but first we need to talk."