XXVI | Belles and Soldiers

Mulai dari awal

*****

Ruby found that she was not so free outside Belcourt anymore. Her maids were replaced which meant her every move was being watched. But one night, as she stayed up alone in the parlor by the fire, reading a book, she found a familiar face outside the window. With a frown, she walked out into the hall and rushed to the front doors. Slipping out, she found the woman standing at the foot of the driveway.

She looked unkempt, as if it had been weeks since she met a bath. The woman was one of the maids she frequently encountered in the Village back in Belcourt. She was amongst those who left Belcourt months ago.

"My lady," the woman said, eyes filled with self-pity. "If it's not too much to ask, I would like to get your help."

Ruby frowned and looked around. The street was empty and freezing. "Would you like to come in?" she asked. "It's cold out here."

Whatever pride left of the woman was no longer apparent as she eagerly nodded. Moments later, Ruby watched her gobble the bread and tea, barely looking up to take a breath. When her plate was empty, Ruby offered more food, which she accepted without shame. It took another serving before the woman's pace slowed and she finished her food with the practiced grace of a Belcourt lady.

Shame, even for this woman, came after. She could not look Ruby in the eyes as she wiped her hands on her skirts, eyes filled with guilt as she stared at her empty plate.

"What help do you need?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"I..." The lady looked around Ruby's pristine kitchen. "I left Belcourt filled with hope, but it's not... It has not been easy, my lady." Ruby could only stare. What was she to say? The offer to leave Belcourt must have been very tempting for them, most particularly the women in the Village. They had been doing nothing but serve everyone but themselves. And when they did the latter, they were met with disappointments because out here, serving yourself depended on how much money you had. "I have not found any employment," the woman sobbed. "The moment they learn I'm from Belcourt, they turn me away." Her eyes were filled with tears when she finally looked into Ruby's. "They all think I'm out to get their husbands and sons, that I'm... I'm a wench."

"Katie," Ruby gently said, "you know I can't offer you employment. I have my own servants."

Katie sniffed and wiped her nose with the back of her hand. "I know, my lady. The other Belles said the same thing. Their servants... well, they hate us. They say I should have known better before I left Belcourt." She let out a shaky breath. "That we'll always be unwanted."

Ruby quietly stood. She grabbed a basket and began to fill it with food as she asked Katie where she was staying.

"At an abandoned house she found with other ladies from Belcourt."

"Some of us are sick, my lady," Katie said. "Fall is coming soon and I'm afraid we won't make it until winter. We do our best. Those who found work try to feed us," she added, stealing a glance at her empty plate again. The guilt in her eyes almost crushed Ruby's heart. No one should ever feel guilty over satisfying a basic need.

She added more bread into the basket. Then she stilled, closing her eyes to fight the tears before she covered the basket with a clean cloth and turned to face Katie. "I'm sorry, Katie, but this is all I can do."

The woman's eyes went to the basket, and her shoulders fell. But she nodded anyway. "I understand, my lady. It was our choice to leave."

At the corner of her eye, Ruby could see a shadow outside the kitchen doorway. Her maid was spying on her again. She carried the basket to Katie and told the woman she could not stay long or she would be in trouble. The shadow disappeared before she guided Katie back into the hall and to the door. Once outside, Ruby hastily whispered, "I'll try to find help."