"You best bring me back some lasagna," she says. I roll my eyes. I had shot her a text barely ten minutes ago.

I stifle a laugh, "Yes ma'am."

I hear muffled shouting from the other end of the line, "Shit. Love you babes, gotta go. This new coach is a piece of fucking work."

She hangs up before I can say bye.

And with that, I lock up the house, and head down into the driveway, where the Honda sits, patiently awaiting for me.

• • •

There's definitely snow on the ground. It's everywhere. And, it's so much colder here than it was at home. The traffic sucks the closer I get to mom's new house, I've been sitting at the same light for at least five minutes. I swear, it's only green long enough for one, maybe two cars to pass through the intersection.

        Music is playing quietly from the speakers, some bullshit playlist I had made forever ago.

        It's kind of grating on my ears. I like music, don't get me wrong, but I like music I like, and the song playing is more of Sadie's vibe. I reach forward, just deciding to switch the radio off entirely, when a new song wafts from the speakers. My hand freezes mid-air.

Shania Twang's voice crashes against my ears as she begins to sing. I swallow, forcing a sob down my throat.

I smile as tears threaten fall over, remembering Kolby and I's jam our session in his truck on the way to the showcase. Back then, everything had been so simple. We had our little dynamic perfected. We flirted harmlessly and we're good friends. But now? Now that's all a mess, because I'm too scared of getting fucked over again.

A war wages on in my head as the light finally turns green long enough for me to make it through.

I having a brand new set of feelings toward Kolby. Love is a strong word, but like isn't strong enough.

I swallow another sob as the first tear leaks down my cheek. It tastes salty as it drips down my lip. I fucked up big time, didn't I?

But I can't just let him into my world, into my heart, so quickly. The way it went last time . . .

I shake my head as mom's house comes into view. I use the backs of my hands to wipe away the tears, and take a shaky breath. This is why I came here this weekend. To figure out my feelings, to have a fun time with my mom. I know she misses having me at home.

I park in the driveway behind her mustang. The house is a lot bigger than the one I grew up in. Granted, when I lived at home, mom was working two jobs to put herself through college, and also trying to feed me. She's a saint.

I could out of the car, and grab my bag, I turn to head inside, seeing mom standing at the front door. She looks as beautiful as always. Her skin is darker than mine by a few shades, and her hair way curly than mine, but those are hidden by several little braids on her head.

"Baby!" She runs out, and envelopes me in a big, tight hug, peppering me in kisses.

I laugh, hugging her back. Yes. This is exactly what I needed.

She lets go, and grabs my bag, I open my mouth to protest, but she shushes me, and ushers me into the house.

I take in everything. The floors are dark wood. There's a spiraling staircase leading up to the second level of the house. To the left, there's a huge living room, accessorized by a big couch, and a matching g recliner. A flat screen TV is hung in the middle of the wall. It smells delicious in here, a mixture of vanilla, which is coming from a candle on the table sitting by the couch, and the mother watering deliciousness that is my moms lasagna.

A new round of tears prick at my eyes. I know my mom loves me, and she's never nkt given me the impression she does, but seeing all that I held her back from as a kid, everything she could have accomplished ten years ago, maybe even twenty.

"Mom," I say, trying to sound sweet, but it comes out kind of like a strangled choke. She looks at me with wide shes, "It's so pretty."

She smiles. A woman proud of herself. She built herself from the ground up, that's for sure. Lord knows my dad dipped the second he realized babies weren't as easy as the movies make them out to be.

"Let me show you your room," she tells me, grabbing may hand, and dragging me up the stairs. Up here, there's a long hallway, with three doors on one side, two on the other, and a set of double doors the end.

Mom opens up the second door on the right, and I walk in.

There's a bay window, a desk, a TV, a king sized bed, and a walk-in closet. It's so perfect.

I don't say anything, I just wrap my mom in the tightest hug I can muster. "I love you."

Mom laughs, patting my arm, "I love you too." Then she leans back, and grabs my face, mushing it. "Now, what's wrong with you? Why have you been crying?"

I frown. I thought I had hid it better. "Just the coldness, not used to it really."

She arches a brow. "Indigo, I'm your mother. I know when you've been crying."

I shrug, "Later."

She gives me a look.

"I promise," I hold out my pinky, which she immeasurable links herself with, then we drop our hands, "But for now, that lasagna smells amazing."

a/n: and I present to you, Indigo's mommy!!!

anyways, follow my tiktok if you don't already!

new updating schedule , tuesdays &&. Sundays, so be looking for a juicy chapter come tuesday!

also, be on the lookout for a misc. book, where I'll be having a Q&A!

be sure to like and comment, it makes my day hearing your guys thoughts!

have a good day!