Green Eyes (PART TWO)

Start from the beginning

I creak the door open and walk over to my pillow. I look behind me just to be safe, then reach into my pillowcase and slip my journal out.

I grab the pencil I had tucked away in its rings.

Your eyes remind me of the grass

Because they have natural beauty

Just like them

When I look into your eyes

I feel safe

Even if there was a thunderstorm,

I would feel safe

My eyes don't sparkle like yours

Unless I'm looking at you

Because when I see you and your eyes

I feel happiness I never have before

There. Done. It may not be very good, but it's mine, and I'm proud of it.

I smile down at my poem, rereading it a bunch of times. I get lost in my daydreams.

... Then the door flings open.

"Luca!"

I immediately slam my journal shut. "Nothing!"

I nervously turn to Giulia, who's leaning through the doorway with her hand still on the knob.

She breathe-laughs through her nose and smirks at me, then stands up straight. "Dinner's ready," she says, then heads back downstairs.

Embarrassed, I look down at my journal... then put it back in its hiding place and follow Giulia down the stairs.

* * *

"Where'd you sneak off to?" Alberto asks me as I sit back down in my spot at the table. For some reason, Alberto's sitting where Riccardo was, and Riccardo's the one sitting across from me. I don't question it, and I definitely don't complain.

"Stuff," I say, which isn't really an answer that makes sense. Alberto looks at me, confused.

"I thought you were changing shirts," Mom said suspiciously, setting her cup down and glaring at me.

Oh, no. I forgot to change shirts! "I, uh, forgot," I admit quietly as Massimo sets a plate of pasta down for me.

"Luca, for goodness sake." Mom puts her fingers between her eyes and shakes her head. "You were up there for ten minutes."

Beside me, Alberto giggled. "I know my Batman figurines are cool and all, but don't go stealing them," he jokes.

I laugh with him, but kind of awkwardly. Thankfully, Mom drops the subject because Grandma starts talking to her and Dad.

Giulia sits down to the left of Riccardo, setting her plate and glass of water down. "So, boys," she says, grinning at us, "how's the first week been for all of you?"