02 ┃ 𝐞𝐥 𝐦𝐮𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐨

Start from the beginning

Julieta immediately nodded and set about making the necessary preparations, but there were some in the room who were shocked by Alma's decision. "Doña Alma, you can't be serious! You're allowing strangers to come, even going as far as to offer them hospitality in Casita?" One person spoke up from the crowd, their voice filled with disbelief.

But Alma only smiled serenely in response. "Of course I am," she stated firmly, making her way toward the door. "Only one person in the outside world would know the way into Encanto." As she opened the door, the sound of a creamy wagon stopped outside the house, drawing everyone's attention.

Some of the onlookers peered curiously around Alma to get a glimpse of who had arrived. They saw a middle-aged man assisting an elderly woman out of the wagon.

"Abuela Francisca!" Alma exclaimed upon recognizing the elderly woman, who playfully smacked the man on the arm.

Francisca turned around, her face lighting up upon seeing Alma. "Alma, my little mija," she greeted warmly.

The two women met halfway, embracing each other with happy chuckles and tears of joy.

Alma's eyes widened in surprise as she met the young couple's gaze. "And who might these young ones be?"

Francisca limped over to the couple, beaming with pride. "This is my granddaughter-in-law, Jovena," she introduced, pointing a wrinkled finger at the woman. She then shifted her finger towards the man, "and my grandson, Miguel."

Alma's expression softened with fondness at the mention of Miguel's name. "Miguel?" she said with a hint of disbelief. "Do you mean he's...?"

Francisca nodded, confirming Alma's suspicion. "Yes, he's Alejandra's little boy."

Alma's heart swelled with emotion at the thought of seeing her best friend's son after so many years. She walked over to Miguel, smiling at him. "Hello, Miguel. I'm Alma. I was your mother's best friend."

Miguel's face turned stiff as he forced a smile. "I know. My abuelita has told me a lot about you," he replied, clearly holding back his emotions.

Alma could sense that something was amiss and her smile faltered slightly.

Francisca noticed Alma's expression and quickly interjected, "As much as I would love to spend time catching up, mija, we have urgent business to attend to."

Alma nodded in agreement, understanding the need for urgency. "Of course. Please bring the child inside. We've already prepared a room for her."

The couple's faces filled with shock at her words. "How did you knowㅡ"

"Ah, I see Casita has blessed your family with many more gifts," Francisca said, cutting off Jovena's question as she walked into the house. "Miguel, go get my bisnieta. The quicker she gets help, the better she'll be. I'll meet you in the room."

Nodding, Miguel went to get his daughter.

When he arrived with the still feverish 5-year-old, nearly everyone was standing outside Casita to get a peek at the strangers.

Miguel pressed his lips into a firm line, sheltering his daughter closer to his chest.

Seeing his discomfort, Alma turned towards the house, shaking her head at the many eyes staring back at her. "I'm sorry everyone, but tonight's celebration will be cut short. If you'll please, Casita, help our guests see their way out."

The house shutters gave two flaps as if saying, 'You got it' before moving the stone underneath the crowd's feet, like a treadmill, straight out towards the outskirts of the house.