25. Lock's Breakdown

Start from the beginning

"I come to the human world a lot," Lock said. 

"Yeah, I know,"

"There's a place I usually go to," Lock explained. "Not too far from where we are now. We just finish walking through these woods and it'll be there."

Y/N eyed him suspiciously. "Are you taking me somewhere to murder me?"

He snorted. "Now, why would you think that?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Y/N asked. 

"If I wanted you dead, princess," he said. "You would have been gone months ago."

"How would you kill me?" she asked. 

He was caught off guard by the question. "What?"

"How would you kill me?" she repeated. "I'm curious."

"I wouldn't, it's as simple as that," he said. 

Truth be told, the idea of killing Y/N had never once crossed his mind. Ever. He's thought of killing other people. He thinks about it all the time. But, he had never thought about killing Y/N. 

"How would you kill me?" Lock asked. 

"You're already dead," she retorted. 

"Okay, how do you think I died?" Lock questioned.

She looked up at him. "Huh?"

"I was a human before I died. Everyone in Halloween Town was. When we died, we ended up there. So, how do you think I died?" Lock asked. 

She contemplated her answer, studying his face and looking for any signs of a forced death. It seemed as if she was only just now noticing how ghostly he looked. His lips were a light shade of blue and his skin was a pasty, pale white. She said, "Froze to death."

She waited for him to speak. To tell her if she was right or wrong, but she seemed to have struck a nerve. His usual tough facade had shattered and he stopped walking. He looked down at his hands before placing them on his face. 

"Lock..." Y/N said. 

***

His teeth clattered and he shook furiously. Buried underneath the snow, afraid and cold...Oh, so cold. He couldn't get out. No matter how hard he pounded on the snow or how much he tried to dig...he was trapped. 

He was only six years old. His mind couldn't comprehend what he was supposed to do in a situation like this. He couldn't hear anything. His body was numb and his fingertips had turned blue. His lips were on their way to turning into the same shade. 

"Help me..." He mumbled against the snow that restrained him. "I wanna g-go...home..."

He lie there for only 20 minutes before his small, child body gave out on him. With one last pitiful attempt at getting out, he weakly threw his arm against the snow. His arm fell limp at his side and his breathing stopped. 

His lips were icy blue...

***

"Lock!" Y/N exclaimed. She grabbed him just before he could hit the ground. She placed her hands on his cold cheeks, trying to calm down the panicking boy in front of her. 

"The snow!" He cried as his back hit a tree. He slid down it, shaking and crying. Y/N walked over, trying not to alarm him. "They left me to die!"

"Lock..." Y/N calmly spoke. His sobs were echoing through the forest, bouncing off the trees and sending it back to him.