Chapter 3

I was currently at my locker trying to get ahold of Chris at the hospital, which is almost impossible to do. I was about to give up and hang up when he finally picked up on the eigth ring. "Dr. Lewis speaking how may I help you?" "Oh, hey Chris it's Ash." I told him and waited for the yelling to begin. See, Chris hated when I called him at work and he also hated when I used my phone at school, so I knew there was no way that he wouldn't be angry at me. "Ashley." He groaned, " how many times have I told you not to call me while I'm at work unless it's an emergency and you're at school so this better be good." he told me and I really regretted calling him because once he knew the reason I knew he would get even angrier with me. "Ugh, I know I know, but I forgot my lunch on the counter and I don't have any money with me and I'm really hungry Chris!" I whined to my cousin,"Well that's your fault Ashlry for not taking the lunch that I took the time to make you. I'm at work now, I can't leave, what are you expecting me to do?!" He asked, and honestly I don't know what I expected him to do, it's not like he could just leave the hospital and bring me my lunch, I knew I would regret calling him! "I don't know Chris sorry for bothering you I'll jut figure something out, borrow some money from someone or something love you bye." I said in one fast breath and then hung up so I wouldn't have to hear Chris yell at me anymore. "Need some money?" A voice from behind me said which made me let out a little squeal and jump. I turned around to find Luke standing behind me with a smile on his face and a 5 dollar bill in his hand. "Oh no it's okay, I'm not that hungry. Thanks tho!" I told him while shutting my locker. "Oh come on I know you're lying. I just heard you tell Chris that you were hungry, now come on just take it." He told me, still holding the money out. "Really Luke, it's okay, I don't want to take your money." "Ashley, seriously it's just 5 bucks, just take the money." He told me while grabbing my hand and giving me the money. I sighed but kept it anyway. "Thank you!" I told him while smiling, "I'll pay you back tomorrow I promise." "Don't worry about it. You keep it." He said and them started walking down the hallway towards the cafeteria, I just stood there for a few minutes just watching him walk down the hall when he turned around and looked at me. "Are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna walk to lunch with me?!" He said while laughing. I smiled back and walked to where he was standing, we both continued on in silence but there was really only one thing on my mind, finally I spoke up. "Luke?" I asked him looking up, "yeah?" "You know what, never mind." I said looking back down. "Ash, come on what were you gonna ask?""Really, it's nothing." I told him starting to speed up and walk away when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Ashley, seriously what were you going to ask. I'd like to think I'm a pretty easy person to talk to." He told me with a smile. "No that's not it, you are. You're actually one of the few people that I've actually told them what happened to my parents, and it usually takes me a while to feel comfortable enough with somebody to actually tell them. But just forget that I said anything." I said walking away again, and once again I felt a hand grab onto my arm and pull me back, and this time he didn't let go. By now we were right infront of the cafeteria and all I really wanted to do was go in and eat. "I'm being serious Ashley, just tell me what you were going to say. We're not going in there till you tell me." I sighed and looked into the cafeteria to the table where I usually sit and saw all of my friends staring at us. "Okay fine." I sighed and looked up to see a huge smile on his face. "I just want to know why you're being so nice to me. I mean I just met you today and you gave me money and listened to me talk about my parents. I just don't understand why." I told him and looked up just to see an unreadable expression on his face. "I don't know, maybe I'm just a nice guy." He told me with a smirk. "Come on, lets go get in line." He said while grabbing my hand and pulling me into the cafeteria with him, and I could've sworn I could feel my face heat up when he grabbed my hand. I shouldn't be feeling like this, but for some reason I am and maybe it's not a bad feeling!