"You can call and tell him about it, Dad." Ava suggested.

"Oooh yeah! That'd sure make him feel better, don't ya think?" Kaylee added hopefully.

"Beau looked at Brett and winked.

"Maybe you're right at that, would you two like ta do the honors?"

"Could we?" Ava squealed.

"Really?" Kaylee gasped.

"I believe that would do him a world of good, so, be my guest - he deserves it." Their father assured them with a smile.

The girls were on the phone with Rowdy for the next 30 minutes sharing the exciting news and finding out how Deputy Small Bear, who had now risen to hero status was doing well. He would spend some time in the hospital in case infection set in. The girls asked Rowdy to relay their get well soon wishes, feel better and thank you and promised to visit him while he was layed up.

"That's good ta hear, ladies! Makes my night. So when does yer pop think you'll be headed back to the ranch? Any idea?" He asked.

"He told Charley to make camp tonight and rest then bring the cattle to us tomorrow." Ava answered. Then Kaylee finished,

"Then he said we'd start herding them back to the ranch the day after they get the cattle back here. We get to be on a real round up! That hasn't happened since last year!"

"That's great, ladies. How 'bout lettin' me talk ta yer dad a minute."

"All right." Ava answered and held the phone up between herself and her sister and they said together after counting to three....

"Bye, Uncle Rowdy! We love you!"

"I love you too." The cowboy medic could be heard chuckling as the phone was handed over to Beau, who was grinning. He immediately turned the speaker off (much to the girls' disappointment).

"You take the phone off speaker?" Rowdy asked.

"Yyyyuup! Guess you can guess what certain people think about that." Beau answered.

"They're probably frowin' atcha right about now." Rowdy chuckled again.

"You'd be right about that."

Over the next few minutes Rowdy peppered his friend with questions regarding the girl's physical condition, particularly Ava.

"Do ya really think she's up to it? That idiot was apparently pretty rough when he yanked her off that horse."

Beau walked away to speak more privately while Brett garnered the girls' attention with a card game.

"Brett 'n I have both talked ta Patricia 'bout that. She seems to think if we travel slow, reduce the bumping as much as possible Ava will be ok. She's so excited about the prospect I'd hate to deny her and we do have her saddle. One of the hands repaired it already and received a hug."

Rowdy chuckled, "I know she'd be disappointed ta miss it....and you couldn't very well send her home an' let Kaylee stay."

"No, that wouldn't be fair. She's not been askin' for the pain meds much and I haven't seen signs of a lotta pain. Brett hasn't either, an' we've all been watchin' for the least sign believe me."

"Is Trish still with you just in case?" Rowdy asked of his sister.

"Yes 'n no. She should be here in an hour or so with the Land Rover and medi-camper," Beau chuckled.

"She never was too thrilled about campin' out in the great outdoors as I recall."

The two friends laughed outright together and shared a couple of Trish stories. Beau was thankful that the two were on good terms again. He knew how much their separation had hurt his friend.