Three

There's something about driving down a coastal road without any idea where you're actually going that can both terrify and excite you. You've been trying to probe Drew for details about the secret destination but he simply won't budge. He's only responding with leaning over and kissing your forehead whenever you ask a question, which you're not opposed to. You ask him to roll down the truck windows and you release your messy bun from the jaws of the hair tie. The breeze turns your hair into a whirlwind of wavy blonde and you close your eyes,allowing the cold to relax you.  You feel his hand slide up your thigh and search for your hand. He then intertwines your fingers with his and you can't help but peak at your hand perfectly fitting in with his. You and him make eye contact and he seems to stare right through you. Before you are completely lost in the moment, you feel the truck turn onto what sounds like a gravel parking lot. Suddenly a wave of salt laced air slaps you in the face and you know exactly where you are. There aren't any cars around so he pulls into the spot closest the beach. After turning off the car and giving your hand another squeeze, you both slip out of the truck and you're greeted with a shock of icy air that pulses through your entire body, making you shiver. Drew notices.

"Shit, I don't know if I brought sweatshirts with me."

You can feel the guilt seep off of him and you try to convince him you're fine. Responding with another forehead kiss and smile, he walks to the bed of the truck and you can hear him digging through what sounds like tools for an apocalypse of some sort.

"ah!" he exclaims and reveals one of his sweatshirts. After tossing it to you and waiting for you to put it on, he leads you a little ways away from the truck. 

"Close your eyes"

"Why?" you can't help but leave a little suspicion in your tone.

"Its part of the surprise, I promise." He tries to resist smiling, but fails. You smile back and close your eyes, he puts your hand on your shoulders, "Stay here."

You hear him walk away a ways and more apocalyptic tool sounds fill the air. After what seems like a lifetime, he finally comes back over and takes your hand and leads you to the beach.

"Watch your step"

You feel for a step and sink into warm sand.

"Your eyes still closed?"

You nod and smile in response.

He chuckles, "Good."

He positions you towards him and he's so close you can feel his warm breathe on your icy nose.

"Okay, Open"

You slowly peak open your eyes and the scene you find nearly knocks the breathe out of your lungs. Its the perfect beach scene. Large blankets topped with fluffy pillows are layed on the sand with small rocks used as weights on the corners. Lit candles are lined about a foot from the blankets, casting a soft glow towards the splashing salt water. He even brought a small radio, which seemed to be playing a slow Aerosmith song.

"Drew.. you didn't have-"

"You like it?"

His eyes search yours for any sign of disapproval.

"How can't I?"

Your cheeks begin to hurt because you're grinning so wide. He takes your hand in his and carefully leads you around the candles and you both plop onto the strangely comfortable arrangement of blankets and pillows. You breathe in the salty sweetness of the air and take in a gulp of it, feeling his mesmerized stare pierce through you. You then faintly hear him whisper "Wow" under his breathe and you immediately feel insecure, running your fingers through your hair.

"Oh, I almost forgot" He turns towards his right side and pulls out what looks like a velvet box.

You suck in a breathe of air, suddenly afraid of what he's gotten you. What if its really expensive? You didn't think to get him anything, Damn it! Lost in your own anxiety-induced thoughts, you don't notice him open the box. You pull yourself away from your world and cautiously look down at a beautiful ring in the shape of a heart: a promise ring.

Your emotions take over and you are barely able to form any kind of coherent sentence.

"I..It looks really expensive.. I can't-"

"Sshh.. you know I'd get anything for my princess"

You are taken aback but not at all surprised at his utterly cheesy response, you can't help but smile.

He takes the glossy ring from the box and slides it onto your ring finger. You raise your hand and admire it in the moonlight and turn to him, resisting tears. Still not being able to find your ability to speak, you just hug him, taking in his scent and warmth. You feel him laugh a little and he takes you down with him to lay on the squishy pillows. Laying your head on his chest, you find his hand and lace your fingers with his.

"This is perfect" you breathe into his shirt.

"I was hoping you'd like it" he says through a grin.

You both then slip into a comfortable silence and let the waves of the ocean below and Aerosmith serenades twirl in the air and into the sky.