Chapter 1: Level 1

Start from the beginning

He couldn't even access Katsuki's stats or anything relevant. It was just

[Katsuki Bakugo: Lvl 5.]

Why was he level five? Was it because his quirk was strong? Was it because Katsuki was strong? What was he level five in? What were his stats?

If he could get that information, his quirk might be at least kind of useful. He could assist in rescues, help with training, assist with security. But nope, his quirk was as selfish as it was useless. At this rate there was no way that he was going to get into U.A.

"Outta the way, Deku!" Katsuki growled and shoved him in the shoulder just because they were on the same side of the street. It was almost like Katsuki saw him coming and then waited just so he could be a prick about it.

[You have taken one point of damage!]

[You have survived an encounter with Katsuki Bakugo! +5 exp. ]

[Congratulations! You have leveled up! You are now a lvl 2 weakling! ]

He had leveled up at least four times, but every time he was still a level two weakling.

Though he wasn't certain being a level six weakling would be any better.

Wait. Katsuki's name plate. It now read that he was level six. Okay what the fuck? Why did Katsuki actually level up from that? Why the hell did his quirk hate him! That was it. Today after school he was going to talk to a therapist. Or something. Probably not. There really wasn't much of a point. If he did go to a therapist it wouldn't change that his quirk was an asshole.

Still why was Katsuki a higher level now? What did a level even mean? Was he just that much stronger?

"Uhh, Katsuki?" Izuku mumbled trying to catch up to his former friend. "Did uhh, did you get stronger just now or anything?"

Katsuki snorted into a smirk that oozed confidence. "I'm always getting stronger! Unlike you deku. That's why you'll always be a weakling with a do nothing quirk."

"Thank you for your input." He made certain to stand more than a bit out of arm's reach from the violent blond. At least none of Katsuki's friends were around, that was when he went from asshole to bully. It was kind of sad how he allowed himself to be influenced by those kids. Though if Izuku had friends he'd probably be influenced by them too.

Alright, so Katsuki didn't get a burst of power, which meant that much like everything else with his quirk, the levels meant nothing.

Hooray.

School was the same as it always was. The teacher taught their class. Izuku ate alone for lunch. Nobody talked to him unless they had to. Katsuki bullied him. Seriously, all this because he didn't have a good quirk, or a spine, but it was easier to blame the quirk really. If he had a strong quirk maybe he'd be able to something. Or at the very least people maybe wouldn't bully him.

Instead they all knew that his quirk was basically worse than being quirkless (thanks to Katsuki) so even the two quirkless kids in school didn't want anything to do with him.

On his way back home from school, he followed the dots leading back home, all of his homework for the day listed on his quest log and he was still a level 2 weakling. It was the same as it always was. He went to school, was disappointed, then went home, and was disappointed there too. Probably said a lot that his mother was his only real friend.

Something odd was up ahead. The normal path he took home was blocked. Not by anything physical but it looked like there was a giant floating red circle with a cross in it. The trail of dots of his quirk were steering him down an alternative route away from the bridge. There were no other warnings, just that red circle.