Oneshot 15. [Flower Boy]

Start from the beginning

He stepped to the side, closer to the wall. His feet finally moving him out of the middle of the hallway, likely an instinctive reaction to hide because he could hear the shuffling of textbooks from inside the classroom. He knew that his time was running out.

Niki swore his knuckles were white from how hard he was gripping onto the flowers. It would be a miracle if he didn't crush them between his fingers.

He heaved out a breath.

He heard footsteps.

He heard Jake's voice in his head again, cheerful and encouraging, Come on, Niki! I know you can do it! Just ask him. What's the worst that could happen?

(And then his mind quickly reminded him that Jay had followed up Jake's comforting words with a tragically realistic remark that felt like an bullet to the heart-and not the good kind that he felt when he looked at the pretty student council president for the first time. Junho looked serious when he reminded them that, 'He would just say no at worst.')

The worst-case scenario was exactly what Niki wanted to avoid.

He would much rather not ask Heeseung to the school dance than face the rejection. He couldn't bear to look at the latter in the eye if the other boy said 'no' to his trivial request.

He spent his entire week's allowance on the bouquet of flowers that he swore resembled Heeseung most-white and pink flowers, delicate and pretty.

The florist, Seungyoun, told him the flowers and their meanings but he completely forgot all of them.

He considered it again.

He had a little bit of time before the class was dismissed. The door hadn't opened yet.

Through the small window of the classroom's door, he could see that all the students were still seated at their desks, though their textbooks were neatly packed up and stacked on top of their desks. He could only hope that they couldn't see him through the window.

And for the first time in a long time, Niki regretted his instinctive decision to eat 10 ten-ten vitamins per day.

He was too easy to spot in a crowd.

Well, he stood out, like literally.

And while he wouldn't usually mind it, his nerves were beginning to give him second thoughts about everything.

Surely, it wasn't too late to just shove the bouquet of flowers onto his homeroom teacher's desk and insist that it was a belated teacher appreciation gift. Or if that wasn't a great idea then he could always give the bouquet of flowers to his neighbour when he got home. His neighbour was a kind old lady who would appreciate any kind of gift.

Surely, a nice gesture like giving her flowers wouldn't be so suspicious. It wouldn't be suspicious at all.

Niki was a nice kid. He was a good kid. Sometimes playful and flirty, bit overall a good kid that was overly tall and had a massive crush on his pretty senior.

He was a good kid and all he wanted was to ask one boy to the school dance.

He got good grades in school and he did his best in every task that he was given. Well except the classes that had Heeseung in them.

I mean, who could resist staring at the beauty?

And all he ever wanted was to take Lee Heeseung's hand, and place his other on his small waist and dance with him to the cheesy, slow music that was overplayed on the radios.

His pure, teenage heart didn't want anything more than that. Yet, he felt too nervous to act on his own wishes.

He heard the scrape of a chair being pulled back in the classroom. He held his breath.