Invitation

Rarg's P.O.V

I looked at Batwing awkwardly.

He was standing on my doorstep, wearing a pair of brown, mucky cat slippers, some sheer white pjs, and a inside-out black hoodie. He'd been trying on clothes since learning that you could get them in a skeleton size. Grayfellow, too. He was also soaking wet. Oh, and he was holding some soup, for some reason. It had been a week since the hole incident. I had leveled up my common tongue language skill, and could now speak well, almost. Almost is the operative term, here.

I snorted and said "Clothes nice, Batwing." He didn't seem to register the insult and said "So, Grayfellow told me to give you this." Then he shoved the soup at my face. "Oh, and this." He also threw a letter and turned around, powerwalking off. I frowned and said "Uh, Batwing?" He kept walking. I yelled "BATWING!" He turned around sharply and said, in a clipped tone "What." I asked him "Uh, what with urgency?" He stared at me for a second, before snorting and putting a hand over the hole in his face where his nose would be. Then he said "You'll know soon. And by the way, have you forgotten we hate each other?" Then he whipped around and started off again.

I stared. Ok, maybe this wasn't a surprise. Back in the Nether Fortress, I'd been the first to vote him as a traitor. The punishment had ended up to be exposed to his worst fear for eternity. For him, it was water and lava. Guy had no idea how to swim. Like, there was a portion of the army training where they threw you in a pool? He just sunk helplessly, no matter how many times they shoved him in. Eventually, they gave up. He had been accused of consorting with Lavacrest monsters. So, he was then given a "trial". Which consisted of us shouting what should be done to him. Amnesty wasn't an option. Neither was death. None of the experience had been great for either of us.

I told him "Look. I don't like you. In fact, I hate you. But we both know the past is past. I deserve to know what's on. And besides, that punishment was the best. Remember, the alternative was Enderstar's digestive...bah, what's the word? Or having your blood taken for potions." He stared at me "First off, get your facts straight. I have marrow, not blood. So I couldn't have become potion man if I tried. Second off, I'm not grateful that you thought letting me starve on a block , surrounded by lava, was a good idea. And thirdly...I can't explain it. Grayfellow told me not to. You'll just have to read that letter and see." Then he glared at me again and started running down the pathway. Probably for some better clothes. Maybe to beat up Grayfellow. You couldn't really tell with him. Man, Clyde would have at least chatted for a bit!

I sighed. Batwing had always been an enigma. A nasty, spiteful, rude one. I had hated him, and still did. He returned the favour. Still, nasty and spiteful describes pretty much all of the wither skeletons. A moody bunch. After all, the one thing they had in common was a burning desire for revenge, insanity, or the fact that they were descended from humans and other humanoids that died in the nether. Or, ones that died and then developed a burning desire for revenge or went crazy. Seriously, if you go to a wither skeletons house and ask for a history of their oldest known relatives, they will almost definitely have one that that goes like "Oh, they were executed after exile and then got up after about...oh, 100 years? Yeah, 100. Then they went insane and had some children with grandad, who died after he fell into a lava pool in the nether."

This was weird even for Batwing. We usually argued for a while before he walked off. And I was pretty sure "You'll know soon" wasn't a good thing. Especially coming from my worst enemy. And that he couldn't explain it. Not good! Also, Grayfellow was distant most of the time. I talked more with Clyde than him. He rarely contacted me. And usually he insisted on going face-to-face if he wanted to talk. Why would he make Batwing his messenger? Why not Clyde, the much more friendly? Or Eldra, the slightly manipulative, but still friendly? Heck, even one of the kittens would have worked better than Batwing.