~prologue~

"Is this a bird Mommy?" A child's voice was heard from behind the cage. The woman hummed in response and crouched down next to her child.

"That's right. This is a vermillion bird. They are quite lovely to see, aren't they?" The child looked up at the woman, whose eye's were starring at the bird in the corner. "This bird is yours and will protect you (Y/N), so take good care of it."

"It." Thought the bird. "I'm just an object to these foolish humans."

"Why can't we release the bird?" The words the came out of the child's mouth shocked the bird. The woman was unfortunately, not happy. "He looks like he doesn't want to be here."

"Enough. Say goodbye to the bird. You can see it later. Prepare yourself for dinner. We have guests coming over." The woman rose from her crouching position and exited the room.

Oh The child was now left alone with the bird, staring at how beautiful his colored feathers were. She gently held out her hand towards the bird. He hesitated at first, but eventually came to her. The vermillion now stood up tall in hopes of frightening the child. Instead, she had her attention drawn to his feathers which looked soft and fluffy.

With the same hand, she gently traced her small fingers across his chest. He flinched at the sudden touch, but slowly sat down so that she could feel his head. Her touch was softer than his feathers, and he was left star-struck. He hadn't felt warmth from a human in a very long time since his last owner.

"It's okay birdie." The child whispered as she cupped his head and brought it to align it with hers. "I'll treat you good. I promise."

"(Y/N)! Are you still down here?" The woman yelled down at the child who retracted her head from the bird. She gave him a smile, followed by a soft giggle, to which the bird was left with confusion and was surprised. His heart banged in his chest and his mind was scattered with thoughts.

Could this be an era where humans and majestic beasts live happily together?