Chapter Twenty-Five

En başından başla

She said it with a smile, more than delighted to see a quirk on Johanna's lips as well. "So your solution is that we'll both be tired in the morning?"

"Doubt I could really sleep anyway," she pulled her knees up to her chest, the handle of the knife poking her uncomfortably, but she was far from comfortable enough to put it far away. They sat there for a while, watching their two allies, two people they never would have chosen, and listened to the silence. Well, the birds had stopped singing, but movement was all around them. A breeze so soft she couldn't even feel it ruffled the leaves around them, tiny feet in the trees or low on the ground behind them. It was almost nice, had they not been where they were, with weapons poking their sides and the damned heat.

Odette dropped her legs again, saying: "I want to thank you."

Her voice felt strange between the jungle noise. A disruption that would lead something terrible to their little hiding spot. "For what?"

"Keeping me collected today," she looked back over at Johanna. She was still sweating, her hair clinging to her face. Even in the lacking light, she could see the hot flush on her face. How long would it be until they were so sunburnt it hurt? "I know it isn't what you expected you had to do, but... you did it anyway."

Still leaned against the tree, Johanna's head lulled in her direction again. "You needed me." She stated it as if it was a normal thing, something she didn't think twice about.

"I did," Odette placed her hand on one of Johanna's crossed arms. She wasn't certain how she was allowed to touch her, but staying away was impossible. "But I want you to know that I'm here for you, too. You're allowed to need me."

She knew that no matter how softly she spoke, the people watching would hear. It felt strange, speaking such private truths for the world to hear. "I do," it was a confession Odette hadn't expected to hear. She turned her head away again, slightly tilted to the stars. "So you better not die."

Despite everything, Odette smiled. Happy that still came easy, and rested her head on Johanna's shoulder, following her gaze between the leaves. "Not planning on it." The stars were exceptionally bright. Was it because there was no light, or because they were fake? Odette decided it didn't matter when they looked that pretty, and for the first time since she entered the arena she felt a strange sensation of peace. As soon as she became aware of it, it vanished, replaced by Woof dying, the wound in Beetee's back, and the fact that a lot of people wanted to see her dead.

Admittedly, sitting there, her eyes grew heavy and she could have fallen asleep. In fact, she was beginning to when Johanna spoke again. "I'm not happy he's dead."

It was a strange statement, worded like a confession. "Of course you're not," she lifted her head, hoping to stay awake a little longer. Her hand was still on Johanna's, and she gave it a squeeze, hoping to comfort her. "No one thought that."

"I don't know about that," she made a noise, close to a laugh. "We had our issues. I didn't like him, but I didn't want him dead."

"I know you didn't," because in the end, that was all she could offer. she wished they were anywhere else, that she could take her face and kiss her until she forgot about everything else. The best kind of comfort. Instead, she rubbed small circles on her arm, laying her head down on her shoulder again. "It's not your fault."

She felt the pressure of Johanna's cheek against her head and was grateful this was a kind of comfort she could still provide. Even if it was hidden between trees and plants in the dark, watching over two other people. There would be a future, she knew. A better one, where they might decide anything.

A question popped into her head, then. The desire to just know anything about Johanna she could. "What's your happiest memory?"

Johanna's cheek lifted off her head, and Odette could picture the way her eyebrows were high and her mouth was relaxed, ready to ask: "Are you trying to make people emotional and get sponsors?"