Laughter

Harry spent all day working on the roof with Jed. He hadn't seen Luna since Draco had dragged her off first thing that morning and Jed was oblivious to Harry's torment.

Not that Harry's torment was particularly new, it was just it had shifted on its fucking axis again. Draco had surprised him with his tenderness and thoughtfulness. But the kiss had knocked him bloody sideways and he kept playing the moment over and over. And okay, Harry might have pushed for a reaction on the spur of the moment with the treacle tart, and yes, he got one, though it wasn't quite as definitive as he'd hoped for. So, what did it all mean? Harry kept churning the thoughts over and over in his mind. Was Draco teasing him, despite running when it came to the crunch? Was it just a... what? Blokes didn't just bloody-well kiss other blokes... not platonically anyway. Ron would never suggest that Harry sat between his legs or kiss him so tenderly on the cheek to say happy birthday or feed him treacle tart that was like it was fucking food porn.

And to top it all, Harry had wanted less running away and more kissing... Which was just fucking with his brain because this was Draco bloody Malfoy he was thinking about kissing...

He was relieved when work came to an end. He just wanted to go back to the house, shower, and crawl into bed. He didn't want to engage with the bloody day any further, birthday or not. He would really prefer it if Draco wasn't in his bed. Spooning him had felt good, too good, and that wasn't helping matters either.

Harry sighed heavily and wandered through the formal gardens back to the stableyard. The gardens really were beautiful and he couldn't resist sitting on one of the garden benches for a while, enjoying the peace and quiet away from everything. He watched bees busily buzzing between the colourful flowers and enjoyed being in the moment with the evening sun on his face.

He ran a hand through his hair, thinking he should be getting back, but he was struggling to motivate himself. He was finding it all too much. He didn't even want to go in the bloody house.

'There you are,' said Draco softly, rousing him from his daydreams.

'Hey,' Harry said.

'You alright? You look kind of melancholy.'

'Just thinking.'

'About anything in particular?'

'About how bloody tired I am.'

'Go and have a soak in a shower, then I've sorted a picnic for us down by the lake.'

'Draco, I'm really not...'

'...Harry, I insist. You'll enjoy it. I think you probably need it.'

Of course, Draco insisted on blindfolding Harry who took it in resignation, despite wanting to crawl into a hole and disappear. It was, as usual, a case of what Draco wanted, Draco bloody-well got.

'I don't want the surprise to be ruined,' Draco said, wrapping Harry's old Gryffindor scarf around his eyes and carefully guiding down the gentle grass slope towards the water. 'Not much further,' he reassured.

The silence was broken by a recognisable shout of 'HARRY!' and next thing Harry knew was Teddy was throwing himself at Harry even though he was blindfolded.

'Oof!' Harry exhaled as he was hit full force in the stomach by the eight-year-old. 'Hello Ted,' he murmured.

Draco still wouldn't let him take his blindfold off.

'Is Andy here too?' Harry said.

'Yeah,' said Teddy, the excitement clear in his voice. 'Are you surprised?'

'Yes. I am. I wasn't expecting to see you today.'

Teddy took hold of his hand and he and Draco led him the final distance. 'Are you pleased?'