01. HIGH NOON RECORDS

Start from the beginning

But Sunday was the day that ruined it. It was an empty day, void of any set activities and left MJ having no idea what to do to appease the guilty giant that grew within her stomach over the course of the twenty-four hours and would end with her sitting in a dark room, barely lit by the bulb in her lamp and feeling as though she had wasted away her life yet again.

That was unfair - to herself and to those she chose to distract herself with - Margot just didn't know what she had to do to finally be satisfied with the choices she had made over the days. It was difficult, but if she kept herself busy then maybe she wouldn't feel as such. And so, once Saturday came to an end once again and she read herself to sleep, MJ knew there were certain choices she would have to make when she woke up on Sunday.

It was unexpectedly light when she did awake, usually found the feeling of guilt so overpowering that she would regain consciousness was at the break of dawn, when her dad was stumbling in from the bar down the road or already fast asleep on the couch ready to make his way to the shower and then appear in front of his daughter and sometimes son as though he was the perfect father he liked to present. It wasn't that he acted any different under the influence, but the idea of MJ getting another call when the bar was taking it's last call to come and collect her barely-able-to-walk father was nauseating.

At least she could be grateful he didn't treat them poorly, or else Margot didn't know how she would do it.

It seemed to be the shouts of laughter coming from somewhere in the apartment that woke her up, and for a long minute she laid there, eyes on the ceiling, trying to comprehend what was happening around her. The realisation that the curtains she hung from the sole window in her room did absolutely nothing stung, but no more than when she turned her head to the side, saw the alarm clock and shot upwards, flinching when there was a clatter and far-too loud bang.

Cautiously, she peered over the side of her bed and sighed when she saw the curving spine of the book she had been reading and obviously fell asleep whilst in the middle of. These days she had a habit of doing that, and for all she knew it was unintentionally, but reading until she was quite literally too exhausted to do anything else was becoming a problem.

But otherwise she would lay awake for hours, so in some sense it was a rather good idea. It was the first time she had slept until that time in the morning, certainly.

MJ hadn't even managed to get out of bed yet when her phone rang, her fingers curling around the chunk of plastic and lifting it to her ear as she drew her knees up to her chest, swathed in the flower printed bed sheets. "Gwen.. hi, we didn't have plans, did we?" She stifled a yawn with her hand. She might have slept for a time longer than usual, but it didn't seem to have adjusted her energy levels to an adequate point just yet.

"Plans?" Gwen's voice echoed in her ear. There was a note of confusion in her tones, and she could almost imagine her best friend tucking a stray few strands of hair behind her ear. "No, we didn't.. did we?"

"No? Not that I know of." Came the reply.

"If I did, I suppose we're both insanely late for them." The blonde chuckled. "You sound like you just woke up - which is good, it's good - and sorry to ruin your Sunday but you left your bag here last night."

MJ let out a sigh, burying her face in her hands. Curls of dark hair tumbled over her hands, a stark contrast against her skin. Usually, she was the one to work Saturdays and Gwen the following day, but as their division prepared for the influx of students from their own school and a number of others across the city boroughs, they had required a little more help.