3- *ULISSES*

With every audition I was forced to watch, the feeling of being a useless fraud who had no idea what he was doing intensified.

First, the competitors had to learn a routine, corresponding to the role they wanted to try for. They did the choreography on skates in front of Jana, of the lady from the Canadian school, and myself. As if I was in any shape to judge anyone's skill. Then, they had time to come up with a simple routine of their own, with whichever resources they had. In case they couldn't, the instructors were allowed to give pointers on what elements to include. What mattered was that they had some dancing skills, besides skating, and that they could perform some of the elements required of them.

A couple years ago, the idea of taking part in such a recital would have bored me. Now, it terrified me.

They asked that the students trying out for the main parts had at least the skills corresponding to the second level.

At first, it wasn't so hard. I was impressed with Gabriela Garzia's test. She had grown up so much since I had last saw her! Granted, I didn't see her that much. But I remembered how protective Heitor was of his baby sister, what with her having Down Syndrome and all. How proud he was of her accomplishments. The way he helped me in my Physical Therapy sessions mirrored what he saw his mom do at home. If Gabi was trying out for the recital now, she must be at least on level 2, so I figured she must have started skating around the time I stopped. Heitor must be feeling so proud! I felt a pang in my stomach when I thought of my ex-best friend and his family.

Gabi had a lot of confidence, and sass, waving at everyone and smiling. She owned the whole gym, from the moment she stood up from the cold floor where she had been sitting. For a moment there, I was afraid that she would pick out "Let it go" every little girl's favorite song, at least in Antares, and every skating instructor's nightmare. Luckily, as soon as she took her first steps, I could make out the notes to "Shake it off". It wasn't my favorite kind of music, at all. I was only glad I hadn't heard that song a gazillion times before. Besides, the tune has to work for the skater as well, and that it did. Gabi was dancing to it with such ease and joy that it was impossible not to get on board.

When it came time for the technical part, she also beat her competitors, doing her spins perfectly, making it clear she was a shoo-in for the role of the sugar plum fairy. If anyone had any doubts that she deserved the part, they would have vanished by now.

After the try-outs for Sugar Plum Fairy, the Clara hopefuls skated to the corner of the court.

"Since this role tends to be more demanding, we will be taking into consideration not only your skill, but your availability and willingness to practice for extra hours" Jana explained. "We are also looking for some chemistry between the protagonists."

Even though there were children as young as eight in class, no one even giggled at this last part. We had grown used to skating in pairs from an early age, so, there was hardly any awkwardness.

"That being said" she resumed, "I still need at least an intermediate level skater for this part, to make the process easier and rehearsals not as laboring".

Someone raised their hand. I remembered her name, Nyx. We had practiced together ages ago.

"Couldn't we have a same-sex couple? Like, a version where the nutcracker was a girl or where the Mouse King and the Nutcracker were secretly in love?"

I listened in for the instructor's response.

"We definitely could. But for this specific recital we didn't really have time to put together an adapted story. Maybe next time..."

As Jana answered some more last-minute questions, I went to the bathroom, to wash my face, and went back. It was hot and damp in there, and I already felt my skin itch. And to think summer was still two months away...