Chapter 28: One Last Stand

Start from the beginning

"Where are they?" Pippin whispers from beside me on Shadowfax. He sits behind Gandalf with a huge helmet over his head, and I wonder how he can see under the rim. Aragorn glances at Pippin briefly before riding right up to the Gates. I glance across our little line to make eye contact with Legolas, who nudges Arod into following Aragorn. Everyone else does the same, including me. It's silent, except for the hooves of our horses. For once, Vanya is quiet and calm.

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!" Aragorn calls loudly, and I swallow nervously. Vanya seems startled by the sudden loud noise and jerks her head up. "Let justice be done upon him!"

Silence.

But then, a loud creak. The Gates open slightly to reveal a black armored horse carrying a single rider. I strain my neck to study his face, but my eyes widen drastically when I see the large helmet fitted over his head... and most of his face. The mouth is the only part not covered, and his teeth are pointed and yellowing with decay. I grimace and shift in the saddle.

"My master, Sauron the Great, bids thee welcome." He says in mock politeness, his mouth stretching into a grotesque grin. Vanya dances nervously on her feet, snorting softly. "Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?"

"We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed." Gandalf says. Shadowfax stands with full attention, mane carried in my direction in the slight breeze. "Tell your master this- the armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return."

"Aha! Old Greybeard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee." The Mouth snickers before holding up a shining shirt, reflecting in the sunlight. I instantly feel numb when I recognize it as Frodo's Mithril shirt.

"Frodo..." Pippin whispers, and tears form quickly in my eyes. I blink hard, trying not to cry, as the Mouth tosses the shirt to Gandalf. "Frodo!"

"Silence!" Gandalf orders, but his face is solemn and sad.

"No!" Merry sobs from behind Éomer.

"Silence!"

"The Halfling was dear the thee I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain? And he did, Gandalf, he did." The Mouth of Sauron laughs evilly, and I see Aragorn nudge his horse forwards calmly.

"And who is this?" The Mouth starts on Aragorn. "Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king than a broken Elvish blade."

Aragorn, with a yell, decapitates the head off of the Mouth of Sauron. I scrunch my face up in disgust as it thuds onto the dusty ground, and Merry gasps. I see Gimli nod from behind Legolas and mutter something, but I'm too far away to hear. Knowing the dwarf, it's probably some sarcastic remark of some sort.

"I do not believe it. I will not." Aragorn says to Gandalf, while I'm deep in thought. If Frodo is really... dead, then Sauron would have the Ring, and we'd all be dead by now...

A bright light, illuminating the area, interrupts my thoughts. I glance upwards to see the Eye of Sauron glaring down at us, seemingly focused on Aragorn. My eyes fly back down from the sky to see the Gates opening, but instead of a single, mounted rider, thousands of orcs on foot emerge. My eyes widen in slight fear but mostly shock, and I bite my lip.

"Pull back! Pull back!" Aragorn shouts as the Gates continue to open. I turn Vanya around and canter with the group towards our army. The men look almost terrified, but I don't blame them. So many orcs against so few of us...

But I'm not scared. If I die fighting to protect Middle Earth, then die I will.

"Hold your ground! Hold your ground." Aragorn raises his sword and shouts. "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

The men draw their swords, the sound of metal on metal ringing out in Mordor. I dismount Vanya and nudge her towards the edge of the battlefield, then make my way on foot towards Legolas. As I come to a stop, I see Pippin draw his small sword and Merry take a deep breath. My lips turn up into a ghost of a smile when I remember how they acted back in Rivendell, and how they are now.

"Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf." Gimli mutters to Legolas. I smirk in agreement, watching Legolas' reaction. He simply glances down at the dwarf and smiles.

"What about side by side with a friend?"

"Aye, I could do that." Gimli says quietly.

Aragorn... Elessar... I hear Sauron's whisper echoing through the field as I turn to face Legolas. Gimli is busy showing off his axe to the orcs, so I don't worry about him too much.

Legolas looks down at me in concern, probably worried that I'll break down and start crying.

"You okay?" He murmurs, tucking a strand of copper hair behind my ear as the breeze swirls around us. I nod and gaze into his beautiful blue eyes.

"Gi melin. (I love you.)" I whisper, and he smiles, whispering it back. I press my lips against his softly, wrapping my arms around his neck as his hands lightly touch my back.

I pull away after a moment, unsheathing my mithril swords and flipping them into an attacking position, smirking. Legolas blinks, then pulls out and notches his bow. We both glance at Aragorn, our friend and King of Gondor, who faces the army of orcs and the Eye of Sauron. He turns to face all of us and lowers his sword slightly. There are tears in his eyes.

"For Frodo." Aragorn whispers, and turns back around. He raises his sword and charges towards the orcs at full speed. I tighten my grip on my blades as Merry and Pippin burst from the crowd, yelling loudly. They run after Aragorn, swords raised high and mighty.

The men of Rohan and Gondor raise their swords and run, following the hobbits and their King. My shouts join theirs as I sprint with the crowd, hair bellowing out from behind me as I charge into battle.