CHAPTER ONE.

CHAPTER ONE.
CHANCES.

"I'm telling you Pete, he's gonna notice

"I'm telling you Pete, he's gonna notice." Josephine started, the girl briefly glancing at Peter as the two walked side-by-side into school, backpacks resting on their shoulders. "If you haven't noticed, your skateboard isn't exactly invisible."

"I'll deal with that problem when it arises." Peter just shook his head as he continued dragging the edge of his skateboard on the ground, Josephine's eyebrows raising at the words. "Anyway, didn't your mom say your dad was coming back soon?"

Josephine nodded, a grin appearing on her face as she answered. "Yeah, in a few days. He finally has permission to bring all his research down here."

"That's awesome, Jo." Peter smiled at her. "It's been ages since I've seen him, how's he doing?"

"Yeah, you and me both. And the answer is...hopefully fine?" Josephine raised her eyebrows as she met his gaze, the two continuing to walk down one of the school's various hallways as they neared their lockers.

"Mr Parker, if I have to remind you about that skateboard again this week, it will be confiscated." The principal spoke up as the teens passed the classroom he was teaching in, Peter rolling his eyes as he unwillingly tucked the skateboard under his arm.

"Told you." Josephine teasingly smirked at Peter as the two slightly fastened their pace, avoiding another lecture from the principal.

"Whatever." Peter just huffed a chuckle as they approached their lockers, Peter's opposite Josephine's.

Once Josephine put her backpack inside and took her books out, she closed her locker door, the girl walking over to Peter as she held the books to her chest.

"English?" Peter questioned with raised brows as he closed his locker door, the boy already knowing Josephine's timetable by heart.

"Science?" Josephine asked, a small smirk appearing on her face as Peter nodded in confirmation. "See you at lunch."

"See you at lunch." Peter nodded again, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he held his hand out and awaited Josephine's.

Josephine grinned as she held her hand out too, the duo doing their little handshake they created when they were kids—Peter gently slapping the back of her hand with his palm (on the side), Josephine then gently slapping the back of his hand with her palm (on the side), both of their hands balling into fists as they gently hit each other's fists (once up and once down), then ending it with a fist-bump.

The two sent each other small smiles as they departed, Josephine going one way, while Peter went the other.