Chapter 1 - Science

Jessica Clarke hated Combined Science. Back in her primary school, Jessica expected it to be test tubes, jets of gas and sparks flying everywhere. She imagined herself with a lab coat and goggles on, as she showered herself in green and blue powder.

Instead, what she got was an hour propped up on a wooden stool watching Mrs Fotheringham write on a blackboard. You had to write everything down even though the photocopier was invented forty years earlier.

It was an hour til Lunchtime, the grass outside was all wet and muddy from the rain and the classroom was filled with hot air produced by a beat up heater. Jessica began to feel sleepy because of the heat and because she was up all night working on her Maths homework.

A pretty girl called Samantha Jennings sat next to Jessica. Samantha was the type of student that acted all goody-goody when the teachers were around. She always volunteered for stuff, ran for a role in the school council, kept her uniform all neat and tidy, and even handed in her homework a week before the due date. But when the teachers turned their backs, Samantha was a total cow.

Jessica hated her. Samantha was always winding her up about the way she wears the school uniform and about her mum being fat.

"Jessica's mum is so fat, they have to grease the bathtub or she gets stuck in it." Samantha's little group full of posh kids laughed.

Jessica's mother was huge. Back when she was little, Jessica didn't really notice. But now when she goes out with her mum somewhere, she can see the other kids pointing and staring. Some were giggling behind their hands and making jokes about her size.

"I went for a five-mile jog yesterday," Samantha continued. "Two laps around Jessica's mum."

Jessica looked up from her exercise book. "At least my mum can try and lose weight, unlike how you can lose that ugly face of yours."

This time Samantha's friends tried to contain their laughter with their hands. Samantha glared at each of them, before glowering at Jessica. "You pesky rat."

Jessica stood up from her stool and faced Samantha off. "And what are you going to do about it? Huh? You going to go crying back to your big brother?"

Samantha saw the teacher look at them with a confused face. She grinned, turning back towards Jessica. "My brother can have a little visit to your house and see how fast your mum can run."

Jessica's smile dropped. "Hey, you leave her out of this."

"How can I? She's too fat to be pushed out of the way," Samantha said. "Your mum's so fat-"

Jessica couldn't take it anymore and grabbed Samantha by her school collar, before slamming her face against the wall behind her. When she turned her around, Samantha's cheek had a giant cut where her face must've hit a nail on the wall.

Jessica was a bit stunned at the sudden power she had.

"You will pay for this," Samantha spat out, before unleashing a shriek and crying her eyes out.

Jessica backed away and made a run for the doorway.

Mrs Fotheringham grabbed her blouse, "Where do you think you're going?"

Jessica tore off her blouse and gave her Science teacher a shove. Mrs Fotheringham stumbled backwards, her arms flapping around helplessly. She collapsed onto the ground with a groan.

Jessica ran down the hallway and outside into the rain. By the time she reached the school gates, her white school polo shirt was soaking wet and her dark green school skirt was covered in dirt. Jessica realized the school gates was locked and had to climb the fence that surrounded the school grounds.