CHPTR 19 - Almost There

The past few days were spent going through the lands, sleeping in tents and mounting our horses. Over the few days the landscape changed from nice planes, dense forest and now we are crossing the hot desert

Not much was seen here and what we could see was just dunes of sand reaching as far as the eye could see.

I brought my horse over near when Techno lead the group.

"Hey, not to sound too impatient, but how much more to go?" I asked as I took a steady pace next to him.

"Oh yes, it's just 3 days time, we will be there soon dear." He hummed, looking back at the crew.

"Alright then, well how are you feeling? I heard from a couple people that we are going because the Badlands Eastern nation is having trouble negotiating with the Western nation." I ask, recounting the words some of the men in the back spoke.

He didn't speak for a moment, before sighing, "yes, that's the troubling part of this. The Eastern nation was usually one that stayed neutral, so for them to call upon our nation's help, is worrying." His grip on the reins seemed slack though, as if he was not so worried about the outcome.

"And- our nation? What side does the nation usually go with?" I ask, meekly.

"The winning side." He says, almost as if recounting past battles.

"Well I grew up almost right in the center of the slums, I- know little to the history of the nation." I tell him, hopeful for some nice history lesson.

"Well, our nation is one of the more powerful ones, maybe even up there where dream lies." He spoke almost like this was a story recounted by many. "We've fought in many wars, won them, made negotiations. Most of them were led by Philza, and after Phil became king, I led the other many successful expeditions and battles." He said, almost basking in the glory of rethinking.

Suddenly, what Tommy said was prominent in my head,

"I'm worried that he won't be able to hold back one day. I'm worried his blood lust will get to him." He leaned onto his crossed arms on the table, turning his head to look at me.

"I'm worried he won't come back as himself."

"Hey, Techno, how many people have you killed?" I suddenly asked. He seemed to snap out of his daze. He thought for a moment, the faint chatter of the men in the back suddenly louder.

"More than I could possibly remember." He said, not looking my way.

I wanted to push more, to ask him about this "blood lust" Tommy was talking about, but the way he wouldn't meet my eyes and kept his gaze facing forward to the seemingly never ending dunes told me the conversation ended.

I kept my pace up with him however. Afraid that if I even faltered, he would leave me behind.

And in this silence I thought

I thought, thought, and over thought.

What if he was done? Did he not want to talk to me about this stuff because he didn't trust me? I've known him for so long now. Why wouldn't he talk to me about what troubles him? I shouldn't expect him to trust me. I don't know what he feels, maybe thats a problem? Would he be able to get over it if I died?

I mulled over that question for a while before shaking my head. I didnt want to even think about that.

When we get back home we can talk about it.

Ah yes, home.

With Phil, Wilbur, and Tommy.

The many months spent together, learning and just spending time together.

"Hey, do you think I can chug a large serving of beer in five seconds?" Bakers voice suddenly came out of nowhere.

"What?" I ask, visibly confused when I realised that I had been too lost in my thoughts that I was now nearing the middle of the troup where Baker was talking with some of the other men. I quickly look ahead to see Technoblade ahead of us all.

"We were planning a way to celebrate when we go back and they challenged me to drink a full large cup from the bar at the center of the capital." Baker explained. He looked tired and worried.

I laugh it off, I could tell he was worried about me, the way his eyes scanned over me in search of an explanation for my fall back from Techno's side.

"Well I don't know, I'm sure I could beat you though." I responded curtly, flashing him a smile to perhaps calm his nerves.

He feigned a look of despair and surprise causing the others to laugh.

"How dare you!" He gasped. I laughed as he turned to look at his friends in false pain at my words

"We'll see about that missy." One of the men called out and I laughed harder.

I'm not so sure I will be able to handle much a drink, let alone in rapid succession, but the way conversation seemed to flow so smoothly with these men made me calm and perhaps a little excited to make it back home.

I can't wait to go home.

-------------------------------------

( - a/n - This is kinda a short one and stuff- and a lot of new info- yall should know I am not good at pacing stories lol, BUT! I wanted to get this part out because it's the holidays! 

- also if you saw my tiktok about wanting to spoil the end- I AM STILL TEMPTED- I've had the end planned out for so long and I really wanna write it!

also I am taking a lot longer to post chapters because well- i kinda got outta this phase but I didn't want to discontinue it because of the ending- WHICH I THINK IS REALLY GOOD.

But still! Sorry for the months wait for chapters! I'll probably get to the end before I know it. It will proabably end in chapter 22!

Sorry that was a rant- STILL

HAPPY HOLIDAYS PEOPLE!!! Thank you for getting this story so far <3 - )