Chapter Thirty-Six

"It's been thirty days shouldn't we have a trial date by now?" Kayla asks Landon. I rest my head on my hands.

It's been thirty days of torture. I tend to come back hours before he does or hours after he does so, I can avoid talking to him. The same with waking up. The only time I listen to him talk is when we visit Kayla.

We've decided I'm going to speak on the stand and it's best if Kayla does not. We're just waiting for a date. They have enough evidence to take her to court. Everyone is saying it's going to be a quick trial since all of the security footage is apparently enough.

It's been tough trying to go places when everyone stops and stares. They whisper and point. They act as if they know the whole story, but they don't. They only know what social media told them.

"We should be getting one soon," he closes the file, "It will all happen so soon you won't even notice. One second you'll be here waiting for a date next thing you know you're sitting in the courthouse," Kayla nods.

I look at her. I watch her swallow. Her hair is matted. She looks like she hasn't slept in days. I hate seeing her like this and the worst is the handcuffs around her hands and legs. It's crazy. And out of all of this, I haven't gotten a chance to actually talk to her myself. I'm always with Landon I'm not allowed to visit by myself according to him I should not see her alone.

It's dumb but I understand. Kayla and I look at each with sad smiles, "So you going to tell me why you two aren't together?" she asks making both of us tense.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"Oh, come on I'm not stupid Char," she rests her arms on the table, "You two have a history and since you won't let us speak alone, you're going to sit there and we are going to pretend you're not here," I laugh softly.

"It's simple really. I told him I loved him, and he stood there and said nothing, so I called the deal off," I sit up taking a glance at Landon.

"A deal?" she raises her eyebrows.

"Yes, a sex deal which he blackmailed me in by holding a flash drive of the security footage of you in the shops over my head," I smirk watching her mouth drop, "So yeah simple no happy ending for Landon and I because when we first got here, we ending up sleeping together again and he asked me why I broke the deal off even though both of us knew why. And I told him I still love him which as much as it pains me to say I still do," I hear a chair screech on the ground.

"We have to go to Charlotte-Rose," I wince at the use of my birth name.

"Yeah, just give me five more seconds," I don't look at him. I don't want him to see me with watery eyes, "And you know all he said was good," I stand up from my seat, "So yeah it's simple once we get back to America there will be no more contact between Landon and I," I walk past him without a word.

••••••

We haven't said a word since we got back to the hotel. He just stares out the window with a glass of whiskey in his hand. I glance over to see that square figure in his pants again. Landon's been carrying it with him ever since we got here. I would try to find it when he's in the shower, but I think he takes it in with him. I can't even find it when he's asleep and I look everywhere.

Landon is insanely good at hiding stuff he doesn't want to be found, "I'm sorry about today," I mumble staring at his back, "I shouldn't have said those things it wasn't fair to you, but I'm hurt. I told you I loved you twice. The first time I got nothing and the second time I got a good," I watch as he brings the whiskey to his lips taking a gulp, "The thing is you haven't even told me you don't love me like I love you," I stand up, "If you would just say that you don't love me back then I'll be able to move on," he chugs the rest of his whiskey.